Like Tree27Likes

Healthiest cooking oil?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    I use water in place of oil to sauté stuff, and if it needs "frying", then it goes into the air fryer.
    Many years ago a young female colleague had just left home and couldn't understand why her chips didn't go golden.

Turned out she was trying to fry them in water and thought that somehow the frying pan magically browned them

Apparently in the USA a study showed most Avocado oil is rancid or adulterated….

https://nationalpost.com/life/food/a...ed-study-finds

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    I've so far learnt that vegetable oils are bad due to the omega 6 content causing inflammation.

Avocado oil seems to be the best for health but any ideas where to get it without forking out an arm and a leg?

Extra virgin olive oil seems a good in between so long as it doesn't go past its smoke point.

Also, canola oil, yay or nay? Profile seems good but due to the way it's heated, studies show a possible link to damaging the brain and causing inflammation in the lungs.
    periphery831 likes this.

My lil sis worked for a company that distributed cooking oils and I was amazed how short the shelf life was and that olive oils also go rancid if they've been in stock too long. As a trained forensic scientist, she was employed to do random lab tests of their stock to insure it was fit for distribution. I used to wonder about cooking oils in Hong Kong and how long it had been warehoused before it eventually found its way to the supermarket shelf.

I agree about lard, duckfat and ghee, I do enjoy the flavour profile using those animal fats, nothing better than chips deep fried in duck fat in my old school culinary opinion.Lard is awesome for cooking a weekend Continental breakfast, with Bacon, eggs, pan fried tomatoes etc ghee is great for Indian curry bases or when cooking pan fried ingredients for curries. For those that don't know, gee is clarified butter, which it is also known as.

Fenix2 likes this.

My brother went camping in Wisconsin. He know little of cooking but did buy 'apple butter' to fry the eggs. Not a good idea.

When in HK i always use peanut oil, easily found. I like the taste and actually use very little so am not concerned with your health issues. Rice bran oil also OK.

Olive Oil is very fragile many things can cause the molecules to break down. Not just age, and temperature, but when it is collected how the olives are treated can result in chemical changes and degrade in quality. The extra virgin oil certification is measures chemical stability and % of acid oils. The lower the acidity the better and for extra vergin oil (AOVE) has to be below 0.8% for cooking.

Cooking olive oil at high temperatures will break it down and make it hard to digest.... The smell is quite pugnant is brings back unpleasant memories.. Reusing olive oil for cooking is not a smart thing.

For salads, you want the darkest and most unfiltered oil. When I was an kid, I remember the elders would rant about this raw dark oil they would be source from farmers. I think had an acidity level of 5% only to be use do salads and had a much stronger flavour. No labels, no inspections, no certifications, oil in a bottle.

Be careful with olive oil when you are pregnant, if it is old or you over heat it, the frying smell or eating it can make you feel sick or faint.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    I've so far learnt that vegetable oils are bad due to the omega 6 content causing inflammation
    There is no evidence to support this claim. Traditionally, chinese cooking has used peanut oil which is relatively high in omega 6 fatty acids. "Mediterranean diet" countries use olive oil which are high in mono-unsaturated fatty acids, and many other cultures use animal fats which are high in saturated fatty acids.
    Skyhook likes this.

"What I've Learned":
    How many of you look at the label on the packages of your food regularly? Have you noticed how "oil" appears in everything?Nina Teicholz https://twitter.com/bigfatsurprise, author of the best selling book "The Big Fat Surprise," deserves a lot more accreditation on this video, she was one of the first people to shed light on the problems with seed oils and the history of how they came to be.

No mention of inflammation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1d42q1GEns

Quote Originally Posted by KEM.UK:
    You have to consider the heat point of the oil too - some you can't fry with
    This is good advice. Something I'm just figuring out. I also realized that I wasn't letting the oil get hot enough before adding ingredients sometimes.
    elephanthead777 likes this.

Best cooking oils are organic first cold pressed oils with high heat point! The best of the best are sesame oil (regular, non toasted) and sun flower. Oils to avoid are all the oils involving a chemichal germinating process (corn, Rice, etc...), hot pressed oils ( all the cheap supermarquet oils), gmo oils ( soybean, canola, etc...), and mustard oil ( much used in indian cooking for it's taste but also because it's the cheapest of all: mustard oil is the basic ingredient to produce deadly mustard gas.