Closed Thread
Page 38 of 107 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 46 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    HK is part of China

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...rs-has-shot-up

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts:
    Ahem:
    https://hongkongfp.com/2020/08/28/pe...tions-doubles/

If your basis for information are mainland think tanks I really don't know what to say to you.
    2020... Those were normal times.

would be ironic to see a departed Hong Konger as a future PM in UK
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...warns-loyalist

Nathan Law for PM!

greenmark and Baklava like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamco:
    would be ironic to see a departed Hong Konger as a future PM in UK
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics...warns-loyalist
    The lack of high profile ethnic Chinese in UK politics has always left me wondering what the differences in emigration has been compared to Indian / South Asian ethnicities who seem to be more involved in govt and policy roles.
    vmlinuz and hullexile like this.

Not confident of their English?

But that doesn’t apply to second generation Chinese immigrants

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    The lack of high profile ethnic Chinese in UK politics has always left me wondering what the differences in emigration has been compared to Indian / South Asian ethnicities who seem to be more involved in govt and policy roles.
    I think that Indians have much bigger numbers in the UK than the Chinese and actually can swing a few seats. That probably makes the difference. Pakistanis also have a large influence in politics, especially on the Labour Party side. If more Chinese people migrate, within a generation, you will see more ethnic Chinese politicians.

Quote Originally Posted by shree711:
    I think that Indians have much bigger numbers in the UK than the Chinese and actually can swing a few seats. That probably makes the difference. Pakistanis also have a large influence in politics, especially on the Labour Party side. If more Chinese people migrate, within a generation, you will see more ethnic Chinese politicians.
    Not sure that is the major reason. It may account for the election of a few MPs but not all.

In Hull the Chinese used to be the largest minority and yet I don't remember or heard of there ever being a Chinese member of the local council.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Not sure that is the major reason. It may account for the election of a few MPs but not all.

In Hull the Chinese used to be the largest minority and yet I don't remember or heard of there ever being a Chinese member of the local council.
    There could be a more historical and cultural reason. Chinese migrants, whether to the UK or US, Canada or Australia, traditionally kept their heads down and focus on making a living in their new home rather than focus on raising their profile in the public. This stems from historical discrimination against Chinese migrants and race riots that targeted Chinese migrants. As a response, Chinese migrants group together in neighbourhoods to better defend themselves, hence the creation of China Towns. They also fear being targeted again and thus prefer to maintain a low public profile, focusing their energy instead on making a living and starting and growing their business.

In addition, unlike Indians, Chinese migrants did not have a long experience with public participation in politics at home or in their home in the West. China did not have a democratic form of governance and even in the case of HK, there was limited voting rights. For Taiwan, it only became a fully fledged democracy in the last two decades or so. Combined that with historical disenfranchisement in their new homes in the West, and that tend to dissuade Chinese migrants from more active participation in politics. India by comparison had been a democracy since independence in 1947 and there is a long tradition of mass political participation.

This is starting to change, notably in Canada and Australia, where a large Chinese ethnic population has given rise to a more substantial numbers of native second or third generation Chinese descendants in both countries. Born and raise with Western values, this has led to more Chinese ethnic MPs and ministers in both Canada and Australia, at both the provincial/state and federal level. But in the UK, the Chinese migrant population is not big enough (yet) for that to occur.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 06-02-2022 at 01:56 PM.
    hullexile, Baklava and Jillypots like this.

Closed Thread
Page 38 of 107 FirstFirst ... 30 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 46 ... LastLast