Like Tree1087Likes

Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

Closed Thread
Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 52 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 68 ... LastLast

>Has Hong Kong adopted the wrong COVID-19 strategy?

No. They adopted exactly the right policy - at that time. But once it was figured out that corona will stay with us possibly for years the policy should have been modified.

With good progress on the vaxx meds and good knowledge how to not get seriously ill the the effort taken to prevent a running nose seems over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Yeah this clearly was a big part of the problem, further re-inforced by doctors.
    Fuck them doctors, HK is now getting mainland doctors in

For all their smartness they never foresee their reluctance to get people vaccinated will result in a tidal wave of mainland doctors entering HK - something they have fought against since 1997
    Sage likes this.

Lots of pretty charts .. the one that stood out was the work visas issued stat.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 10.46.54 AM.png
Views: 214
Size:  93.5 KB

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/24/hong...-approach.html

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    Fuck them doctors, HK is now getting mainland doctors in

For all their smartness they never foresee their reluctance to get people vaccinated will result in a tidal wave of mainland doctors entering HK - something they have fought against since 1997
    Yeah the Brit keeps erroneously claiming that the Govt advised old tricks not to get vaxxed - he's wrong yet again - They spinelessly deferred to Doctors (purely politics for the EOY elections) and then doctors spinelessly deferred to their bank balances.

The old fucks themselves are pretty dumb and selfish, and their families are incompetent and dumb at making informed decisions too.

HK culture in a nutshell - It's only happened in China, no where else in the world. China only has Sinovac - again because of shitty Chinese attitudes - at the end of that day you get what you deserve.

Now doctors have shot themselves in the foot and further opened the flood gates.

Just a shame we all got caught up in it too.

Ho hum, where's the airport again?

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Right, this is what I'm saying, the population at large (and particularly certain segments of it) spread rumours that the government was trying to poison them and similar.

As a government, how would you have confronted that?
    You repeatedly said that HK was doing fine and the elderly would get vaccinated in their own time.

Myself and others pointed out the many problems in just passively waiting - and we were proven correct.

Passively waiting did not result in an increase in the rate.

An overall rate of around 60% last summer was lauded but totally misleading as virtually everyone who needed to be vaccinated was still not.

Now we are here.
    TheBrit, Sage, Gatts and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by njstone9:
    You repeatedly said that HK was doing fine and the elderly would get vaccinated in their own time.

Myself and others pointed out the many problems in just passively waiting - and we were proven correct.

Passively waiting did not result in an increase in the rate.

An overall rate of around 60% last summer was lauded but totally misleading as virtually everyone who needed to be vaccinated was still not.

Now we are here.
    He's got you bang to rights I'm afraid there @GentleGeorge, you and Aramis (god rest his soul).

That's a precise and concise summary of the arguments and the outcome.
    Gatts likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    The thing about actually being in Hong Kong, is that I see the bus adverts every day.

I saw lots and lots and lots from the government saying "go and get vaccinated", I never saw any asterisks saying "unless you are old"

On the other hand, you seem to get all your news second hand from the expat network, which could fairly be accused of bias in certain areas
    Read on Facebook by a real person. Mother in law went to QM ( has heart issues) and asked if she csn get vaccinated. Her doc said NO. But would not give her an exception either as she did not meet the criteria. Told her to get her whole family vacinated and then stay home. THIS is why we have a problem. This was THIS week.
    njstone9 and hullexile like this.

Closed Thread
Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 52 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 68 ... LastLast