Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 59 ... LastLast

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60697763

Puts our woes into perspective, but striking similarities, too.

For her the moment of decision came with a new "state betrayal" law that has come into force in Russia. Anyone expressing support for Ukraine could face jail sentences of up to 20 years and Anya believed she could be a target.

"Fear of closed borders, political repression and forced military service is in our DNA. I remember my grandmother telling me stories about the state of fear they lived in during Stalin's time, and now we are experiencing it," she said.

Many of the new emigres are tech industry professionals who can work remotely. A video games developer I met at a cafe in Tbilisi told me that he and most people he knew disagreed with Russian policy and they knew now that any protest would be violently suppressed.

"The only way we can protest is to leave the country, take our skills and money with us. Almost everyone in our circle has made a similar decision," said Igor (not his real name).
    AsianXpat0, shri, Sage and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Very impressive with 20k steps! I would love to be above 10k but never been even close. Then again when I walk its up and down, so the steps are a bit harder.
    I started with 5K a day then 7, 10, 15, 20. I set myself a 15K min but only restored to that in quarantine. The toughest days are any day after a few beers and Christmas Day but the beauty of being an early riser means I can kill 10K off while half the world is still asleep.

im not advocating 20K as the magic figure but if you can set yourself a target of 5K minimum and stock to it who knows where that will lead? All I will say is that I’ve ready many articles over the years. There’s one I’ve not found since which cut through all the bs and I found the most accurate.

In essence if you had exactly the same diet over two weeks but zero steps then 10K solid steps daily you’re talking about 1K weight loss.
    caipiroska, shri and Yangster like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    I started with 5K a day then 7, 10, 15, 20. I set myself a 15K min but only restored to that in quarantine. The toughest days are any day after a few beers and Christmas Day but the beauty of being an early riser means I can kill 10K off while half the world is still asleep.

im not advocating 20K as the magic figure but if you can set yourself a target of 5K minimum and stock to it who knows where that will lead? All I will say is that I’ve ready many articles over the years. There’s one I’ve not found since which cut through all the bs and I found the most accurate.

In essence if you had exactly the same diet over two weeks but zero steps then 10K solid steps daily you’re talking about 1K weight loss.
    Jealous, wish I could find the time to WFH (walk from home) rather then WFH (work from home)

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardstorm:
    Jealous, wish I could find the time to WFH (walk from home) rather then WFH (work from home)
    Not as jealous as me, someone who used to run 100km+ per week and now struggles with 100 metres.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Not as jealous as me, someone who used to run 100km+ per week and now struggles with 100 metres.
    yes but your target of 100 metres is equivalent to my 20K and probably more admirable.

I'm heading out of HK on the 29th of March. This will more or less be a trip to make a final decision on whether to completely quit HK or not. Will be gone for around 3.5-4 months. So I guess there's another data point of 3 people "leaving".

hullexile, shri, vmlinuz and 4 others like this.

Visiting family after 2.5 years. Will be out of HK for 3 to 4 months. Considering new roles in Vietnam (or SG too but that could be tricky due to work permit issues there). Maybe another 4-6 months for leaving HK (sadly). I've worked in Vietnam previously so willing to give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    The period starting Feb 8. saw the biggest jump in bookings, a time when Hong Kong’s leader Carrie Lam was flagging ever tighter Covid restrictions. Public gatherings were limited to two from four, hair salons were closed, and stricter vaccine checks were required in shopping malls and supermarkets. Talks of mass lockdowns had also started to swirl early last month.

“People’s motivation is more to escape from a surge in Covid as more than 70 percent of travelers booked one-way tickets, increasing from only 26 percent pre-pandemic,” said Olivier Ponti, ForwardKeys’ vice president of insights.

I think Olivier Ponti needs to get a new job
    AsianXpat0, Cheeky Kiwi and aw451 like this.

In my daughter’s class, more and more kids now join zoom lessons from Australia, Japan, Dubai, Singapore, London. Most of them temporary relocated to be close to family, some seem to be open to the idea of not coming back.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 51 of 107 FirstFirst ... 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 59 ... LastLast