Like Tree2502Likes

Who is leaving HK, Anecdotal Evidence - Part 2

Closed Thread
Page 53 of 107 FirstFirst ... 45 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 61 ... LastLast

I look forward to an epic 2-3 month pub crawl starting in HK sometime in early 2023, with the UK and EU in the middle and ending in some far corner of the world where some random geoexpat member would be happy to have a couple of beers with me!

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Doing exactly the same. I leave 4 April. Booked today.
    I thought you already did a bit of an extended period out in Portugal -- or was that just for the visas?

We are looking at end of June. Looking like we will have the summer off in Europe! Two months of holiday! (Maybe a permanent holiday for me if I don't find a new job...)

Still need about a month to confirm. I worry a bit that the company will be a bit sluggish... bit pricey to organize everything ourselves though.
    Baklava likes this.

I have signed today with my moving company. Leaving April 16th first off to Thailand, then 1 month Sin then 2 month Eur.
    Afterwards off to a new location in Asia.
    Might cause an issue in case face to face school resumes before the summer but willing to take the risk, it’s been too long.
    Another 3 gone. Pains me, I love Hong Kong, daughter born here lots and lots of good memories but time to move on. Will miss geo as well! Thanks all for entertainment and advice!

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    username checks out...

COVID rates are rising rapidly worldwide atm and Austria just hit a record high for daily infections. I wonder if we'll see countries tightening back up in the year to come.
    The growth in some countries will be short lived I think and it is only some countries. Deaths are still falling.

Name:  _20220317_175724.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  81.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    username checks out...

COVID rates are rising rapidly worldwide atm and Austria just hit a record high for daily infections. I wonder if we'll see countries tightening back up in the year to come.
    Nope. There is a trade-off between quality of life locked down all the time and small risk of death to those who didn't vaccinate. Most countries have now made the right decision.
    Insomnia and hike like this.

Quote Originally Posted by caipiroska:
    I have signed today with my moving company. Leaving April 16th …..

Will miss geo as well! Thanks all for entertainment and advice!
    You could do a Britney ( DeletedUserney)
    caipiroska likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by aw451:
    Nope. There is a trade-off between quality of life locked down all the time and small risk of death to those who didn't vaccinate. Most countries have now made the right decision.
    Covid is a brilliant example of mass hysteria, thankfully the rest of the world has come to their senses.

What amazes m.e. is that you have people returning to the UK saying they are amazed that it's normal there.

They have become so conditioned to mass hysteria that they experience culture shock when they have it pointed out.

I temporarily left HK with my 3yo and baby a few weeks ago. My husband had to stay in HK for work, but will join us for a period.

We're currently in the UK, renting a place near family, and I'm working remotely. Life in the UK for working parents with a young family is much tougher than for your typical expat in HK that's for sure. If you can afford a live in nanny and other staff in the UK I'm sure it's great, but we are nowhere near as comparatively well off in the UK as we are in HK. Working remotely is also only a temporary solution - neither my husband nor I could transfer to comparable roles in the UK at this point in our careers.

I'm desperate to get back, and yearning for HK to return to normal. We're definitely not ready to leave HK yet, and a few weeks in the UK has brought that home! If we had teenage children and another 10 years of savings then we might have a different view. I really hope that by the time we're due to return in August there is at least a plan for the way out of this.

Sage, pin, tf19 and 5 others like this.

I have a friend (teacher) who left HK for UK last week. She was/is a very strong person mentally, very sociable, lots of friends in HK, loved living there and was due to leave end of June anyway.

She really had enough of the recent restrictions an approach to covid.

Last week she asked her boss to be released from her job. The answer was no. So she booked a flight and went 5 days later.

Really shocked by her decision (personally I would have stuck out the remaining 3 months) but just goes to show how the current situation is effecting people.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauljoecoe:
    I have a friend (teacher) who left HK for UK last week. She was/is a very strong person mentally, very sociable, lots of friends in HK, loved living there and was due to leave end of June anyway.

She really had enough of the recent restrictions an approach to covid.

Last week she asked her boss to be released from her job. The answer was no. So she booked a flight and went 5 days later.

Really shocked by her decision (personally I would have stuck out the remaining 3 months) but just goes to show how the current situation is effecting people.
    Unless her health is under threat, that is highly irresponsible. Whatever happened to duty of care? Hopefully this will be a back mark against her ever teaching children again. Unless it's a nice inner city school in UK.

Closed Thread
Page 53 of 107 FirstFirst ... 45 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 61 ... LastLast