Like Tree19Likes

Best place to buy new ipad

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best place to buy new ipad

I'm looking to buy a NEW ipad but not sure if it is better to buy at an official big apple store, a small apple store or a place like Fortress or any other retailer. Since it seems like the price is exactly the same, does buying at any specific location offer any benefits over the other? Do certain stores tend to offer any purchase gifts or better extended warrantees? This will be my first ever Apple product so I'm new to it all. Thanks.

Last edited by DannyJJ; 18-03-2022 at 05:25 AM.

Fortress and some of the smaller stores might offer you some (essentially useless) trinkets. Small chance someone might have a credit card specific discount...

Other than some credit card specific offer, it is immaterial where you buy from. I usually just buy online from apple and have it delivered the next day.

If you want to save cash then look at their refurb store (the link is towards the bottom of their online store page in the footer).

emx, DannyJJ, hin23leung and 2 others like this.

What Shri said - especially check to see if the refurbished or clearance areas of Apple's online store have any stock which interests you - good quality and full warranty.

Other issues:
    - If you buy from Apple online, your details are pre-registered, which can be handy for checking warranty status, etc.

- If you develop a relationship with a specific shop (not Apple Stores, not big chains, but smaller 3rd parties) might get benefits and occasionally discounts over time. No good if a 1-off purchase :-)

- If anyone in your family is in University or is an educator, you can qualify for Apple's educational discount. https://www.apple.com/hk/shop/browse...cation_routing Usually around 5%, does not apply to everything. "Available to current and newly accepted university students, as well as teachers and staff at all levels.*"

Have fun!

Last edited by spode; 18-03-2022 at 08:22 AM. Reason: fix typo
    DannyJJ and shri like this.

Someone mentioned about Swire suing 759 for selling coke below retail price..
    I think Apple is the worse culprit in all the price setting issue

Thanks all. I'll check out refurbs. And I totally forgot about the educational discount. Does that only apply at apple stores or apple products sold anywhere? I can save $400 or so using that discount.

As for warranty. I see apple care+ is $599 for the one I'm interested in, but Fortress has an extended warranty that is an extra year as well but only costs $279. Anybody familiar on how it compares?

If I can get edu discount and cheaper warranty that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyJJ:
    Thanks all. I'll check out refurbs. And I totally forgot about the educational discount. Does that only apply at apple stores or apple products sold anywhere?
    As far as I know only at the online store.
    DannyJJ likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyJJ:
    As for warranty. I see apple care+ is $599 for the one I'm interested in, but Fortress has an extended warranty that is an extra year as well but only costs $279. Anybody familiar on how it compares?
    The Fortress warranty is not an Apple warranty and certainly not valid internationally. Check their fine print in terms of what is covered.
    emx, DannyJJ and z754103 like this.

Oh apple care is international. That changes everything as I don't think I'll be here next year. Thanks!

The best place to buy an iPad is where you can actually buy an ipad, there seems to be a shortage, at least in Europe and few others countries

DannyJJ likes this.

About the educational discount. I know a teacher so I could have them get it, but won't it all be registered under their name, email etc? Can I easily switch it to be registered to me after?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast