Like Tree58Likes

China Eastern aircraft reported down

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Sabotage?

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Dear 2022, why would a plane fall out of the sky?

(That's not near Ukraine or Russia...)
    Could be thunderstorms in the area. The structure of modern aircraft are designed to be tough and withstand even strong turbulence. However, in the extreme turbulence that can be found in thunderstorms, with its sudden updrafts and downdrafts, the force may be strong enough to tear off the wings of some aircraft. That is why commerical aircraft as a general rule do NOT fly into thunderstorms as a safety precaution. ATC elsewhere will generally comply with pilot request for a detour around these storms.

However, with the mainland ATC, I am not so sure. As Mainland ATC is controlled by the PLA, they place priority on who can the use the airspace for the military. It is possible that the Chinese Eastern pilot's request for detour around the storm was rejected because there was military exercise.

Now I find it hard to imagine that the mainland ATC would be oblivious to the storm and the danger it may pose to the plane. I mean, the pilot, if he is refused a detour by the ATC, he can fly back to Kunming if he sees not other path around the storm, that is what a professional pilot would do. If he doesn't have the fuel to fly back to Kunming, he can land in alternative airports around Guangxi. Unless the airline or someone else in authority is placing undue pressure on the pilots to complete the flight no matter what. Again, I find that hard to believe for mainland air safety to be sacrificed on the whims of some superior. CAAC didn't work so hard to improve their air safety record only for some moron to ruin it over some some personal power issues. Then again, PLA ATC may operate to a....different logic on who gets priority over the airspace, who knows.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 21-03-2022 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    Well...that confirms it was a vertical plunge into the ground. Horrific for the passengers and crew. RIP
    Seriously, how can that even happen without being deliberate? So weird...

I suspect it could be related to this. There seems to be a design flaw with the NG which causes the pickle fork (the bit that attaches the wing to the fuselage) to prematurely suffer from fatigue cracks.

https://twitter.com/KIROCharlie/stat...27790843453440

MABinPengChau likes this.

Well, here's a 737 in Russia doing the same thing about 8 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t-hOBoJTOA

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Seriously, how can that even happen without being deliberate? So weird...
    We are not pilots or crash investigators here, a little premature to rule out a whole list of potential causes to the accident.

Well, here's a 737 in Russia doing the same thing about 8 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t-hOBoJTOA
    I don't think its proper to just throw some random video of another 737 crash and say its the same cause. It doesn't work like that. Otherwise, why would we need crash investigators to painstakingly recover the evidence, analyze it and provide a probable cause?

We are not pilots or crash investigators here, a little premature to rule out a whole list of potential causes to the accident.
    It can be deliberate but pilot error (which was the conclusion in the Russian crash). Not saying it's suicide or terror or whatever, just that someone caused the plane to do that (and maybe not realizing this would be the unfortunate result).
    Coolboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy:
    I don't think its proper to just throw some random video of another 737 crash and say its the same cause. It doesn't work like that. Otherwise, why would we need crash investigators to painstakingly recover the evidence, analyze it and provide a probable cause?
    Did I SAY it was the same cause? Seriously, don't put words in my mouth!

I honestly never have seen big commercial planes nose-diving like that so was curious where else it happened is all...
    TheBrit, Flapster, dengxi and 5 others like this.

It can be deliberate but pilot error (which was the conclusion in the Russian crash). Not saying it's suicide or terror or whatever, just that someone caused the plane to do that (and maybe not realizing this would be the unfortunate result).
    Or it could be a design flaw, weather, maintenance issue, etc. Too many variables at play with too little information to support your claim it must be deliberate...at this point. We need more information. That means the black box and voice recorder is the priority right now after rescuing the survivors (I fear there won't be any, but before the authorities announce they are all dead, I will without death estimates for now).

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast