Like Tree38Likes

Damage due to closed borders

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Everybody is telling me it's bad since we arrived a year ago. But I could not find any reliable data.

Thank you. It's not so easy to get reliable numbers although Google shows a lot of articles about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraSiev:
    Everybody is telling me it's bad since we arrived a year ago. But I could not find any reliable data.
    Try some reliable eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Try some reliable eyes.
    I think somebody needs to create some kind of mask, crane game and cheap household goods store index. Even Russell Street of all places now has a store selling $5 bowls and dodgy household wares. Imagine if there were Dollar Stores opening on Madison Avenue or Poundlands in Regents Street.
    BarbaraSiev, shri and markranson like this.

to be fair, times sq in nyc was a dump for the longest time. same with leceister sq and picadilly circus...

Gollygordon likes this.

OP - are you looking at things from an economic angle? from a social angle? business activity?

You probably need to define and narrow your scope as to what you want to focus on wrt 'damage'.

Balance of Payments info is easy to come by, company revenue turnover, share indices numbers, potentially headcount turnover of listed companies are easy to come by. the social stuff would be more objective and you would need to have a clear think about what you are looking for specifically and what 'story' you want to tell, eg Shri's example of inflow/outflow of people.

You can also think about other indicators such as spaces at international schools, unemployment rates, hotel ocupancy rates etc.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    OP - are you looking at things from an economic angle? from a social angle? business activity?

You probably need to define and narrow your scope as to what you want to focus on wrt 'damage'.

Balance of Payments info is easy to come by, company revenue turnover, share indices numbers, potentially headcount turnover of listed companies are easy to come by. the social stuff would be more objective and you would need to have a clear think about what you are looking for specifically and what 'story' you want to tell, eg Shri's example of inflow/outflow of people.

You can also think about other indicators such as spaces at international schools, unemployment rates, hotel ocupancy rates etc.
    Yes, thank you. The wording was too vague. I meant economically. Socially I can see and listen to and read. But economically it is very vague which information the person you talk to will give you. So thank you for hints where to look.
    This type of hint is exactly why I posted the question here. I really appreciate your help.

Socially, everyone says economy is bad.

In reality, I see:

Teslas and other cars sold out due to high demand.
    Rolexes (all models) are sold out and flipped for ridic values.
    People quitting their jobs because of personal matters and not because they are laid off
    Salary increases in many FS (refer to my latest thread on BA salaries)

So maybe its a specific group of people suffering? IDK

qhank likes this.

maybe worth tying this in with the lorenz curve and gini coefficients.?

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Socially, everyone says economy is bad.

In reality, I see:

Teslas and other cars sold out due to high demand.
    Rolexes (all models) are sold out and flipped for ridic values.
    People quitting their jobs because of personal matters and not because they are laid off
    Salary increases in many FS (refer to my latest thread on BA salaries)

So maybe its a specific group of people suffering? IDK
    shri, aw451, Gollygordon and 1 others like this.