Like Tree223Likes

Pelosi and Taiwan

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeky Kiwi:
    We need more excitement in our lives and I hope you're wrong
    A few missiles is always a good time, everyone freaks out when North Korea does it, gives the Sunday morning pundits in the US something for the talk shows...plus if China lobs a few missiles, US will at LEAST need to scramble some jets, send an aircraft carrier to the area, amp up tensions. Then TW will get some new US weapons, for a bonus extra fun time, the US can send some nukes back to TW (maybe they still have the ones Richard Nixon took away back in the 70's).

What fun!
    Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

And what a good time the Republicans will have if China shows the slightest aggression- this is all Biden's fault, we need a strong president that China is afraid of, like Donald Trump. Republicans are PRAYING China shoots off some missiles, then we can focus on foreign policy, instead of Roe v. Wade...midterm elections only 3 months away...what a gift it would be.

shri, Baklava and Cheeky Kiwi like this.

Those of us who lived through Cold War 1.0 already know the moves for Cold War 2.0...

Cheeky Kiwi likes this.

"like Donald Trump"

So you don't think this matter is serious?

This is NOT the time to present that miserable pathetic weakling as leader of anything beyond his mental hospital ward!

Gatts and Ellenna like this.

Knowing something is serious

And being able to do something about it

Are two different things

What I think is serious is the entire world kowtowing to China about Taiwan and not recognizing that it is a de facto country.

I support efforts to treat Taiwan like the country it is.

As I said, I lived through the continual saber-rattling of Cold War 1.0, to the point where I drank the Kool-Aid, joined the Air Force to fight Ronald Reagan's "evil empire" studied engineering, took RUSSIAN language classes for heaven's sake! And you know what? Nothing happened (and, no, I don't blame the Cold War on what is happening in Ukraine, that's on Putin being a nut-job). Eventually, the Iron Curtain was lifted.

So, no, I don't think China is going to actually do ANYTHING consequential if Pelosi visits. There will be a show of force, some missiles, fighter jets following her plane, whatever. Like I said, saber-rattling. Keeps all the military people on their toes and all that.

No one in Taiwan is concerned in the slightest...business as usual for them.

Oh and yes, if you read through any of my previous posts where I mention Donald Trump, you can tell I worship the ground he walks on, wish I could have been there at the January 6th insurrection, and spend all my time and money working for his re-establishment as president in 2024. I may have to quit my job here in Taiwan to personally go campaigning for him door-to-door back home in the US but it is all worth it!

Cheeky Kiwi and hullexile like this.

I asked my Chinese teacher this morning about Nancy Pelosi, she had to look up the trip. Apparently Taiwan has not been officially informed she is even coming, zero fucks given. Business as usual. And she is pretty politically tuned in...

shri likes this.

As I said, I lived through the continual saber-rattling of Cold War 1.0, to the point where I drank the Kool-Aid, joined the Air Force to fight Ronald Reagan's "evil empire" studied engineering, took RUSSIAN language classes for heaven's sake! And you know what? Nothing happened (and, no, I don't blame the Cold War on what is happening in Ukraine, that's on Putin being a nut-job). Eventually, the Iron Curtain was lifted.
    Well done. They say the best way to prevent war is to be well prepared for one.

And speaking of being prepared, we had an air-raid drill at 1:30 PM (stay inside). Glad I wasn't out at lunch...

https://us.yahoo.com/news/missile-al...071220801.html

Cheeky Kiwi and shri like this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast