Like Tree10Likes

Japan 8000 more suicides during Covid

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japan 8000 more suicides during Covid

Japan is still keeping very restrictive Covid policies compared to most parts of the world (obviously not China). There seems to have been a total of some 36 000 Covid related deaths in Japan. This should be seen in the light of that they now estimating there is an suicide rate which is 8000 higher than would otherwise been expected, mostly young people.

Suicide is the ultimate end for someone with mental health issues, how many more extra are also suffering sever mental health issues but have not taken their life?

Why does mental health take such a back-seat in Asian culture in general and more importantly the past two years when considering the risks to the population of certain Covid policies?

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-...gtype=homepage

O_O likes this.

What explains the excess suicides then if everything has been as normal? Was the deaths rather in the earlier part of the Covid situation when things were not normal? The article seems to focus on that the deaths are related to economic issues, are much more people than normal struggling with making ends meet means?

Also you can make a similar argument for HK, everything has more or less been normal here too, except mask wearing. But it affected my mental health a lot with the border closure..

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    Also you can make a similar argument for HK, everything has more or less been normal here too, except mask wearing. But it affected my mental health a lot with the border closure..
    There's a bit of a difference here. Japan is an entire country, Hong Kong is a city.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    There's a bit of a difference here. Japan is an entire country, Hong Kong is a city.
    True but shades in hell. Maybe the DeletedUser is happy as ever in Japan, some others seems to have been affected. Obviously a large part of the HK population seems to not really care about Covid restrictions either, voluntarily keeps mask on etc..

Still back to topic, what explains the excess deaths then?

Mental Issues in the East are given less to no attention at all unlike in the West where they really have programs to cope with this issue. In the East there are many superstitious beliefs that mental health issues are a form of demonic or witchcraft sorcery of some sort. really sad.

The article says that they assumed a continued downtrend, which instead turned to an uptrend. Indeed seems a bit aggressive though seeing those numbers. Just my own mathematical extrapolation is calculating like 4-5000 extra for the 2.5 year period. Not 8000..

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    True but shades in hell. Maybe the DeletedUser is happy as ever in Japan, some others seems to have been affected. Obviously a large part of the HK population seems to not really care about Covid restrictions either, voluntarily keeps mask on etc..
    I would say that this is not a matter of 'shades' when one is 3000km across in it's longest direction, and the other is 35km.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I would say that this is not a matter of 'shades' when one is 3000km across in it's longest direction, and the other is 35km.
    Yes what's your point? If you can travel within one country which is locked away from rest of the world there are no issues at all? All good?

I was also referring to all other Covid restrictions which I assumed Japan implemented as well. But I might be wrong there given that DeletedUser says there were never any restrictions within the country. And I was refering to anything that has been destructive to certain groups of societies mental health. Say for example restaurant workers if nobody is allowed to go to restaurants..

So I stand by my shades. This is btw not a Japan bash, this can be argued for most western countries too. Although I think a country like Sweden for example, they really had VERY limited restriction ever during these 2.5 years. And I think the mental health effects were almost largest for those that were afraid to catch covid (pre-vaccines). So rather a reverse of most other places.

In related news Japan does seem to be struggling with over capacity in hospitals due to a surge in covid cases this week:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...truggle-covid/

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20.../covid-deaths/

Covid restrictions in Japan, however slack, wont help with the already high suicide rates.

I see life being tougher for everyone in the world unless you are wealthy. The poor is getting poorer. You dont see many billionaire descendants committing suicide, right?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast