Like Tree46Likes

HK Taxi Rant: terrible service

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    It's just a bit crap if you're outside sweating in humid summer and have to wait while there's taxis everywhere. If I'm indoors and not in a rush then I will get Uber taxi too. Cheaper than Uber X and they don't charge you for using the trunk as the fee is already paid on the app. That said, if they ever ask me for using the trunk then I won't mind paying it.

Reminds me of another post on a HK Expat FB group where the guy said "he was ready to call the police" over a 6 dollar charge dispute with a taxi driver....
    Another poster on here has called the police over a dispute of a similar luggage fee...

Drivers hate short distances especially those that aren’t likely to tick over the meter.

When we have to, due to my elderly mum who struggles to walk or if we have a lot of luggage, We tell them to use the meter but we give them $30 on top.

The way they see it as you being slow to get out of the taxi etc could cost them a potential big meter ride to the airport etc, You would have been better off getting the Uber and save your stress.

There's a reason why Uber and Lyft caught on like wildfire around the world. The taxi racket was a monopoly at one point and they treated their customers like shit because they could. Wrong-headedly, they still treat their customers like shit even though there are alternatives.

But some of the fault is your own. You went cheap - taxi over Uber and dragging the pram into backseat for very little savings. Live and learn.

Last edited by huja; 17-08-2022 at 10:28 PM.
    jimbo, calmathetic9 and Tom007 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    There's a reason why Uber and Lyft caught on like wildfire around the world. The taxi racket was monopoly at one point and they treated their customers like shit because they could. Wrong-headedly, they still treat their customers like shit even though there are alternatives.

But some of the fault is your own. You went cheap - taxi over Uber and dragging the pram into backseat for very little savings. Live and learn.
    Exactly, All that stress to save $20.

Never had good experience taking taxis in HK. I remember back in the 90s we had to beg the driver to take us back to Sai Kung! But now they gladly go in with a decent fare and come back out cab empty. One thing I really don't like about HK taxi is the distraction of several handsets and tablets and other gadgets on the dashboard and talking and using them whilst driving. Really dangerous imo why are they allowed to do that.

I pretty much boycotted taxis in HK for years with the birth of Uber. I avoid taxis like the plague.

The list: terrible driving, shitty attitude, gotta pay with cash, pain in the ass if I do not have the exact address, scary experiences with extremely old drivers (65+), lost items are truly lost, complaints are futile, refusing/screening pick up for whatever reasons, stupid double charges for tunnel fees, old taxis with shitty ride quality, etc.......

I am sure this list can go on!

hkuk888 and Morrison like this.

I never take taxis anywhere in the world, due to some bad experiences before

You have my sympathies but I can see where the taxi driver is coming from. I would doubt if there’s any taxi drivers on this forum (perhaps a few Uber drivers tho) but having seen of these queues that’s probably a loss for that particular hour and having to go back and wait again. Even though it’s not the most challenging job I’m sure they have their own pressures (putting food on the table etc)

Is Uber still 'operating' in HK? Last ride with them was back in 2019 very nice pleasant experience indeed.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/break...iling-services

Yea, maybe if the majority of taxi drivers weren't so rude then they wouldn't be losing so much business.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:
    I never take taxis anywhere in the world, due to some bad experiences before

You have my sympathies but I can see where the taxi driver is coming from. I would doubt if there’s any taxi drivers on this forum (perhaps a few Uber drivers tho) but having seen of these queues that’s probably a loss for that particular hour and having to go back and wait again. Even though it’s not the most challenging job I’m sure they have their own pressures (putting food on the table etc)
    One of my brother Inlaws has been a HK taxi driver for about 20 years. And I'm not sure why some expats feel that they need to pay extra etc. My brother in law makes around 30ish thousand a month and with my sister in law owns 2 apartments now worth $15 million in total. So why do you feel you owe them anything more? Don't get stooged people!