Like Tree15Likes

New Computer Build - a local computer centre or online?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    <whoosshh>

It's a strange setup where the power supply for a decent gaming spec machine to run an external power brick. I am sure they exist, but I've never seen one.

Or are you talking about modular cables, which are default on the more carefully built machines these days.
    It will happen.

PSU ~90% efficient
    800W = 80W lost inside the bit your trying to keep cool that needs additional fans etc

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It will happen.

PSU ~90% efficient
    800W = 80W lost inside the bit your trying to keep cool that needs additional fans etc
    You should probably stick to the threads that don't require knowledge of tech, because whenever you duck into these ones, your suggestions are often just totally orthogonal to reality, and to common sense.

For starters, heat from the PSU is evacuated immediately away from the case, by the absolutely mandatory fan (regardless of how much you think is 'lost' power). There is no additional fan. There is one PSU fan, and it is not 'additional.'

I'm sure that some of the largest cloud companies in the world design their own rack-mounted modular hardware, designed for plug-in 48V DC powered blade-equivalents. But this thread is about one guy at home wanting to have a new PC built from store components, not Google custom-building a new half billion dollar datacentre.

There are rare hobbyist conversions for single-machine DC drive power supply, but they are strictly done for curiosity, are for low power servers or 100% quiet machines (e.g. one exists for the HP Microserver, which goes up to a whopping 30W) and are almost never seen in the real world. Certainly not for anything that would involve current top of the range graphics cards.
    Last edited by jgl; 04-09-2022 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Javatar:
    Thanks - I'll defo check out the latest AMD processors as I'm not too bothered about intel v AMD so long as it works well!

Maybe I'm just not mentally there yet but still don't feel secure with cloud. I think you have a point with RAID1. I just get into bad habits sometimes and don't update (and there goes months of work).
    If you're not there with cloud, then do it local. Whack a hard drive on to your router and use it as a shared drive*. Run a scheduled copy from the PC to the shared drive.

The idea of RAID in a local PC is often a misguided one- all RAID gives you is disk uptime, it doesn't protect you from the most common forms of data loss (e.g. accidentally overwriting your own files, or deleting something).

There do exist perfectly good reasons to run RAID on a personal machine, but more often than not, the reasons chosen are not sensible ones.

* and please don't make this shared drive accessible over the internet. That's just asking for a world of hurt.
    Javatar and emx like this.

Get an Alienware.

https://www.fortress.com.hk/en/produ.../p/BP_12672111

If you don’t like the case, just buy similar spec’d pc through a a reliable vendor like Hornington. I bought my gaming rig through them. No real point in building yourself unless you have time to spare and you like tinkering (not difficult).

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ases,4183.html

Which OS do you prefer? That’s entirely up to you. You could run Win 10 for the next few years (MS will offer support for Win10 up to Oct 2025). You could dual boot and have both OS or you can upgrade at a later date. It’s a free upgrade from 10 to 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Can also vouch for Centralfield. I chose all the components from them and they built it. Zero problems after more than 5 years.

What specs you looking at getting, just outta interested?
    I have one still running after 12 years
    Crankshaft likes this.

I had a class assignment for a community college class about computer hardware where we were given a budget and then asked to build a PC having certain specs, forget all the details. Anyway, there were a ton of sites for constructing PCs and I remember this one as being user friendly. Could maybe help you to see compatible components you might want to use (they do ship to HK but sounds like you have found a local place to buy and put it together for you...).

https://www.newegg.com/tools/custom-pc-builder

Quote Originally Posted by ArrynField:
    Which OS do you prefer? That’s entirely up to you. You could run Win 10 for the next few years (MS will offer support for Win10 up to Oct 2025). You could dual boot and have both OS or you can upgrade at a later date. It’s a free upgrade from 10 to 11.
    People still run Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    I had a class assignment for a community college class about computer hardware where we were given a budget and then asked to build a PC having certain specs, forget all the details. Anyway, there were a ton of sites for constructing PCs and I remember this one as being user friendly. Could maybe help you to see compatible components you might want to use (they do ship to HK but sounds like you have found a local place to buy and put it together for you...).

https://www.newegg.com/tools/custom-pc-builder
    Not that OP will use them, but don't buy from Newegg. Used to be a fantastic company, then got bought out by a Chinese company and are now unsurprisingly a bit horrible.
    emx likes this.

Use whatever you want. Plenty of alternatives available.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    People still run Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Not that OP will use them, but don't buy from Newegg. Used to be a fantastic company, then got bought out by a Chinese company and are now unsurprisingly a bit horrible.
    No, I was mostly suggesting just to use their online tools- or any other similar website- and then have a better idea of what to buy when heading off to a local shop...unless OP already is certain what he wants...