Like Tree94Likes

Gender expression in schools

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SirNotAppearing:
    Do you really think people approach these decisions with the same attitude as getting a tattoo? Studies have shown that the percentage of people who regret their decision is very small compared to those who say it has changed their lives in a positive way.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8099405/
    For some young people, yes.

There are reddit detransition forums with 40,000 subscribers. Many tell the same story of peer pressure, social identity and of course the ease of obtaining medical intervention.

The general rate of detransition is accepted to be between 2% and 8% but among certain demographics - for example teenage girls - it is much higher.

let's also not forget that detransiton and regret are similar but different. A number may regret transition but are unable or unwilling to do anything about it.
    Last edited by FrancisX; 08-09-2022 at 01:17 PM.

The 8% appears to be closely aligned with geography, too. For example, it's < 1% in the UK.

https://www.gendergp.com/detransition-facts/

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:

There are reddit detransition forums with 40,000 subscribers. Many tell the same story of peer pressure, social identity and of course the ease of obtaining medical intervention.

The general rate of detransition is 8% but among certain demographics - for example teenage girls - it is much higher.
    I have no idea but is medical intervention really that easy? In the USA I guess it would depend on money, in the UK I can imagine a long waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I have no idea but is medical intervention really that easy? In the USA I guess it would depend on money, in the UK I can imagine a long waiting list.
    yes. informed consent is all that is needed. It's as much commerce in the US as it is medicine. Similar to plastic surgery. Where we are at:

https://twitter.com/robbystarbuck/st...03331page%3D31

That says a lot about you. I am fine about boys going into the toilets with my daughter because she is fine about it. It is the boys I worry about, they are outnumbered 5:1 in her class.
    Just to add because it is trending on social media here at the moment, but sexual abuse is taken seriously with a dedicated email account and hotlines to report confidentially incidents be that teachers or other students as the abuser. There are cases every day (there are 27 million school kids here). I would concentrate on those not a hypothetical risk from predatory boys in unisex toilets.

If only Star Trek had shown us what WCs of the future looked like.....
    Battlestar Galactica has a scene where men and women shower together..

The 8% appears to be closely aligned with geography, too. For example, it's < 1% in the UK.

https://www.gendergp.com/detransition-facts/
    The gender ideology movement seems to be very active in its 'debunking" with dubious surveys. I wonder why.

The website you link to

This is not a single study but an analysis of 27 studies, pooling 7928 transgender patients, which makes the margin of error extremely low. Whether or not someone should regret according to your mores is a far more subjective survey of one.
    Yeah, I realise it was a meta-analysis. But anything that finds a 1% result is, to me, automatically suspect, if it's anything more complex than "would you like free money?"

Especially with the way they defined the two levels of regret which would fall into that one or sub-one percent within their study.

There's loads of fancy stats language in the writeup, which is frankly beyond what I can recall from my uni days, but that 1% figure just seems weird.

Just to add because it is trending on social media here at the moment, but sexual abuse is taken seriously with a dedicated email account and hotlines to report confidentially incidents be that teachers or other students as the abuser. There are cases every day (there are 27 million school kids here). I would concentrate on those not a hypothetical risk from predatory boys in unisex toilets.
    all abuse should be watched out for, including that from predatory boys in unisex toilets. Not sure why one should be dismissed as hypotheticall. Isn't all assault hypothetical until it happens?

https://apnews.com/article/lawsuits-...a7c20bcbf84c42

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:

The general rate of detransition is 8% but among certain demographics - for example teenage girls - it is much higher.
    Reddit forums...How scientific! What about Facebook groups and Twitter feeds? That's the place for real science isn't it... Peer pressure to be turned into someone that will suffer hate, intimidation, discrimination and still be marginalized. Yeah sure... The ease of getting medical intervention? First you have to see a mental health practitioner, then hormone therapy for quite a while and then maybe surgery. It also appears that the majority of people never go through full surgery after that... Sorry, I didn't get that from Facebook, you can find it on medical sites. Wow isn't just like going to get a tattoo after a drunken night out? There are millions of people that get plastic surgery, I hope you're as outraged by that... As I said, live and let live...

Funny on how conservatives are very much about choices and liberty when it comes to things like vaccines or guns and hate government interventions but when it comes to choices like these or abortion, all of a sudden it's ok to remove choices...
    SirNotAppearing likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 ... LastLast