Like Tree147Likes

British Monarchy - the Future

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

British Monarchy - the Future

Out of the utmost respect for our magnificent Queen I’d prefer to keep predictions of what happens with the future entirely separate from the thread of her passing.

As many have noted being a Republican and loving the Queen can be done. Now she has passed after a suitable period of mourning (I would say a minimum of a year) the future of the Monarchy, domestically and in the Commonwealth I predict will change.

Charles will command nowhere near the same sort of adoration. Respect is not granted by title alone. It has to be earned.

Yes, pretty sure the monarchy will be gradually phased out, starting with the Commonwealth countries changing their heads of state.

That said, I always felt a little bit sorry for Charles, I don't think his father, in particular, understood him (based on the schools he was sent to, which I don't think were a good fit for Charles, who is reported to have disliked them).

I admire his promotion of environmental causes and I think he had tried to be a decent monarch-in-waiting for an interminable period of time. So I think he may do a halfway-decent job and surprise everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:

Charles will command nowhere near the same sort of adoration. Respect is not granted by title alone. It has to be earned.
    You need to understand your history.
    The same was said of Edward VII who had been the quintessential bon vivant. However he turned out, in his 10 yrs, to be one of our greatest kings.

His diplomatic skills were legendary and the founder of the Entente Cordiale.

Yes, her majesty will be a hard act to follow but the court has been set in its ways for a century and needs bringing into the 21st century. Consorts ( Albert and Philip ) had great ideas but were allowed to do very little. Our Queen was always with her mother over her shoulder.

Charles has indicated he wants to bring change and DOES take advice from the younger generation. He deserves not to be prejudged.

God save the King.

PS. I expect Aus to be the first to kick off. They deserve to be a Republic but our ties are strong and Charles would work hard to keep them in the commonwealth.

No idea what it means for the commonwealth either but a great time to rethink how our currency looks:

Name:  306008732_3254639421416275_2876048007312490585_n.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  59.6 KB

This meme stirred up quite the reaction back home...

shri and mrgoodkat like this.

In Australia we will put him on the $5 note only, and the back of every coin.

Name:  Cash.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  169.1 KB

I reckon King Charles III, will settle into his new role fine, but we have to remember he will have his work cut out, not being as popular with older Australians. Boomers have an issue with him and Diana fans in my Gen X also have a little bit of an issue with him also leading up to her death. Personally, I grew up with Prince Charles going to school in Geelong, him visiting Australia on occasions and remember him being a guest on Count Down, interviewed by Molly Meldrum in the 70's and Charlie being pretty modern for the time and not as stuffy as you'd expect a royal to be. So I'm o.k with Charles finally being king. I think he'll do an o.k job with his environmental and agricultural interests.

No doubt that now the Queen has passed away, that it will leave the door open for a future referendum and Republic debate. Personally I feel we need to rewrite our constitution to better reflect and protect Australian citizens as effectively as the Americans have, which I feel legally will be something to look forward to.

Lots of work to be done over the next year with all of the royal related printed admin changes to, currency, stationary and postage stamps etc.

I see this all as positive progressive change.

Long live the King!

markranson likes this.

Outsourcing the ceremonial head of state to a private 'firm' surely must be the lowest cost / highest income option. So long as the head of the 'firm' ensures their organisation sticks to the unwritten service level agreements of staying out of politics, looking thrilled to be opening a sewage works and providing just enough titillation and a hint of scandal to keep the role interesting enough to up the entrance fees at the state owned ceremonial buildings.

We need to clear the way to allow Queen Meghan to ascend RIGHT NOW!

Enough of these parasitic Windsors. Meghan and the bastard son is what the nation needs.

Trance Omega and Corrib like this.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    We need to clear the way to allow Queen Meghan to ascend RIGHT NOW!

Enough of these parasitic Windsors. Meghan and the bastard son is what the nation needs.
    Prize for silliest post goes to.. .
    aw451 and HK_Katherine like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast