Like Tree138Likes

Queen Elizabeth II: 1926-2022 RIP

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

"Farewell to this land's cheerless marshes"

William and Catherine's children- move house, start a new school on 8 Sept, great-grandmother dies...kind of a lot, all at once...

Xi finally speaks...

“Xi Jinping, representing the Chinese government and the Chinese people, as well as in his own name, expresses deep condolences,” a statement said. “Her passing is a great loss to the British people.” The British queen died at her Scottish Highland retreat on Thursday at the age of 96.
    The statement, released on Chinese state media, noted the queen was the first British monarch to visit China and praised the longevity of her reign as the longest-serving monarch in British history.
    “Xi Jinping stressed that he attaches great importance to the development of China-UK relations,” that statement said, adding he was “willing to work with King Charles III... to promote the healthy and stable development of bilateral relations for the benefit of the two countries and their peoples.”

Prince Charles who gave Hong Kong to China will now be King Charles

Name:  aede54d6-36c7-455b-a8da-71a2bbc548a6_a6aa2e7c.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  678.8 KB

So do the Queen's Counsels in HK get renamed to King's Counsels. Or they stop altogether and rename it something like across the border (whatever the differentiation is?)

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo_jones:
    So do the Queen's Counsels in HK get renamed to King's Counsels. Or they stop altogether and rename it something like across the border (whatever the differentiation is?)
    I think they stopped being QCs a while back.. I think they are senior counsels.
    jimbo_jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:

Name:  aede54d6-36c7-455b-a8da-71a2bbc548a6_a6aa2e7c.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  678.8 KB
    With what authority did Charles give HK to China? Given he had none then I think the handover was not valid and the UK can reclaim it.
    MABinPengChau and mrgoodkat like this.

Name:  9207542C-FDF1-46AD-8CE4-DD14DAB6EA1F.jpeg
Views: 274
Size:  395.4 KB

not sure if posted already but the consulate will have a book of condolence
    hullexile and MABinPengChau like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    With what authority did Charles give HK to China? Given he had none then I think the handover was not valid and the UK can reclaim it.
    But would you want The Crown to reclaim HK now that it belongs to Charles III?

Dunno why my eyes started leaking a bit when I heard the news this morning ... my extended family back in Orstryya were strong republicans (where ERll was known as Lizzy Windsor) and I've spent less than half my life in the British Commonwealth...
    The world has lost a great woman and role model. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

Quote Originally Posted by nivek2046:
    It was never ours to own. Does your landlord know you think you own his house?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast