Like Tree147Likes

British Monarchy - the Future

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    It's one thing to dislike Australians, but to say they deserve to be a republic? That's a pretty cruel insult.
    I think we realise the days of Empires and gunboat diplomacy are over. We can't force Australia.
    Yes, China still dreams of Empire but, unlike the Russian in Ukraine, they have yet to have their sword blunted by reality.

Aus will make a great Republic. Yes, their whole shtick is the "ordinary bloke doing his bit," whilst you have worms like the Murdochs and Packers roaming the planet. But, ordinary Aussies will show the Yanks how a real Republic should behave. They are outgoing where the USA is insular. They are worldly where the US is introverted.

However, the bigger picture is the Commonwealth which has been a marvel by doing things behind the scenes rather than sabre rattling. However, I do fear for it if the new King does not put his best foot forward and treat its continuance as a top 5 priority.

On problems nearer to home.
    Charles has his biggest challenges at home and the court HAS to change. To many outmoded and expensive traits inside the walls. He has crafted the Duchy of Cornwall into a very efficient and profitable ( more than a Billion Pounds annually ) enterprise. He now, in view of modern and not so modern ( going back to the Geogians ) critics has to get the monachy off the Sovereign Grant ( aka the old Civil List ) and make it supportive by the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall. Then that would take away that particuar fuel that is always thrown on that particular bonfire. he was always vocal on lesser royals working, not taking.

Back to Australia.
    Let the Aussies have everything they need to be proud Aussies, not ex cons. The UK ( and the Jocks have to be in the new Kings sights ) has always had a brotherly relationship and our new post Brexit arrangements prove that.

God save the King and God guide the new Republicans.
    Skyhook and markranson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:
    I think we realise the days of Empires and gunboat diplomacy are over. We can't force Australia.
    Yes, China still dreams of Empire but, unlike the Russian in Ukraine, they have yet to have their sword blunted by reality.

Aus will make a great Republic. Yes, their whole shtick is the "ordinary bloke doing his bit," whilst you have worms like the Murdochs and Packers roaming the planet. But, ordinary Aussies will show the Yanks how a real Republic should behave. They are outgoing where the USA is insular. They are worldly where the US is introverted.

However, the bigger picture is the Commonwealth which has been a marvel by doing things behind the scenes rather than sabre rattling. However, I do fear for it if the new King does not put his best foot forward and treat its continuance as a top 5 priority.

Charles has his biggest challenges at home and the court HAS to change. To many outmoded and expensive traits inside the walls. He has crafted the Duchy of Cornwall into a very efficient and profitable ( more than a Billion Pounds annually ) enterprise. He now, in view of modern and not so modern ( going back to the Geogians ) critics has to get the monachy off the Sovereign Grant ( aka the old Civil List ) and make it supportive by the Duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall. Then that would take away that particuar fuel that is always thrown on that particular bonfire. he was always vocal on lesser royals working, not taking.

Back to Australia.
    Let the Aussies have everything they need to be proud Aussies, not ex cons. The UK ( and the Jocks have to be in the new Kings sights ) has always had a brotherly relationship and our new post Brexit arrangements prove that.

Tony Abbott for President
    Corrib likes this.

I'll confess I was a little upset on hearing the news of the queen edging closer to death's door. But that was mostly because I thought the football would be cancelled.

Today I'm more bothered by the rapid decline of C Ronaldo than I am about the dead of a 96 year old billionaire.

Priorities.

What about Andrew?

It would be great PR for the new regime to stick Andrew in the Tower or equivalent.

Although even the new King's penchant for young girls, that could easily backfire.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    I'll confess I was a little upset on hearing the news of the queen edging closer to death's door. But that was mostly because I thought the football would be cancelled.

Today I'm more bothered by the rapid decline of billionaire C Ronaldo than I am about the dead of a 96 year old multi millionaire.

Priorities.
    Corrected it for you.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by David4Maths:

Back to Australia.

Out of 54 nations in the Commonwealth, only 15 still have the monarch as their head of state. Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Solomon Islands, The Bahamas and Tuvalu and the UK

Australia will not be the first one to leave. Our new PM already said a few months ago that we are exploring making an Australian as head of the country, but it definitely will NOT happen during his first term of government, its something that if it happens will be in second or third term (3+ years away).

The Caribbean countries will probably be the first, Belize, Bahamas, Jamaica. They have very strong republic support, their were protests on the streets when William and Kate visited earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    No idea what it means for the commonwealth either but a great time to rethink how our currency looks:

Attachment 87308

This meme stirred up quite the reaction back home...
    Afaik there is no requirement for Canada to have the monarch on their money. Might be a good time to put some Canadians on.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Afaik there is no requirement for Canada to have the monarch on their money. Might be a good time to put some Canadians on.
    Put Canadian animals on the banknotes, much cooler- like Costa Rica:

Name:  coolest-money-costa-rica_tumb_660.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  82.9 KB
    hullexile likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Put Canadian animals on the banknotes, much cooler- like Costa Rica:

Name:  coolest-money-costa-rica_tumb_660.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  82.9 KB
    Siure but that doesn't say much about PR, all those flora and fauna can also be found in adjacent countries, should be someone or something distinct about the nation/history.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    Just a long standing tradition, there are lots of other people who I'd like to see on the bill, such as Louis Riel, but it really doesn't matter. Ask me what I remember/learned about EU after several visits by way of its currency, nada. With electronic payments happening for a majority of transactions in most places we just don't come into contact with bills as much as we used to.

To bring it back to the original thread title - whilst I'd like to see the monarchy gone completely I don't think that is likely. There is a probably a majority support for one in the UK and if you have to have a head of state, one which isn't political is probably a good idea.

I'd support a slimmed down monarchy, really just the King or Queen and partner with the rest getting proper jobs and leading normal lives.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast