Like Tree71Likes

Helper Shortage in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Helper Shortage in HK

we have noticed that almost all helpers in HK are ending contract with current employer and finding new one. they are negotiating with multiple employers at one go and almost going for auction scenario. They are asking anywhere between 6k to 7k salary.

is immigration looking at this scenario or they are not aware about this?
    if they start processing new helper visa inside a week, this could easily have good impact on RED HOT helper market at the moment.

People are getting paid almost 5 USD per hour? Appalling. Beat then back down to 3 bucks fast before this society implodes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    People are getting paid almost 5 USD per hour? Appalling. Beat then back down to 3 bucks fast before this society implodes.
    sorry I didn't understand the meaning fully due to my basic English skills. English is my 4th language, and I am still learning it.

if it was a sarcasm, just for reference, Average salary for domestic helper in Singapore is SGD597 (i.e. HKD 3326) and Dubai is AED 1830 (i.e. HKD 3910). I think HK is in same bracket as these two places rather than other places.

Knowing the general economics (which is my subject) - the salary is in this range for a reason. if it goes up, less people will be able to afford, and many helpers may go job less.

hope this is fine.

Mate, if you can afford to buy a Tesla, in a city with fantastic public transport, you can afford to pay a helper more than USD20 a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jontol:
    Knowing the general economics (which is my subject) - the salary is in this range for a reason. if it goes up, less people will be able to afford, and many helpers may go job less.
    Didn't get this at all.

we have noticed that almost all helpers in HK are ending contract with current employer and finding new one. they are negotiating with multiple employers at one go and almost going for auction scenario. They are asking anywhere between 6k to 7k salary.

is immigration looking at this scenario or they are not aware about this?
    if they start processing new helper visa inside a week, this could easily have good impact on RED HOT helper market at the moment.
    And why shoudnt they find new / better paying employers if they can, they are NOT breaking any laws if they have finished their contract. if they break contract to find a new employer then Immigration makes it harder for the helper to apply new visa so there are already road blocks put inside so that helpers dont bounce around before contract is finished. Once contract is finished its fair game.

If you or anyone cant afford or doesnt want to pay 6-7K for a live in Helper who is basically on duty 24/6, then you or them shouldnt have one. you are quoting prices for other countries then you maybe should go live there and get one there as its cheaper lol

Welcome to Geo-Expat where subject on Helpers will get you mutilated and spat out if you are doing/saying anything against helpers LOL
    Mcdavid and jimbo_jones like this.

The only shortage is that of decent employers.Having a DH should be seen as a privilege not a right.

The minimum wage for DH should be at least doubled. All the terms of a standard DH contract should be enforceable and live out shouLd be officialLy endorsed with contractual requirements for employers to pay live out rates plus expenses plus 10 per cent. Oh and while we are at it a maximum hours per day should be added.

Don't blame the helpers, blame the government. The shortage comes from a completely retarded quarantine policy. You are shifting the blame on them while they use the power of supply shortage. HK people do that all the time by squeezing the amount of flats available. They'd rather keep their flats/shops empty than decreasing the rents.

It took me a year and 18k hkd to get a helper from the Philippines because of that stupid three week quarantine rule.

I found it hilarious that you put the blame on helpers. Technically, even at 7k they are not paid much since they are forced to live in, so it's more like 10 hkd an hour. I don't think I would enjoy sleeping at my boss's place. Have some empathy.

sorry I didn't understand the meaning fully due to my basic English skills. English is my 4th language, and I am still learning it.

if it was a sarcasm, just for reference, Average salary for domestic helper in Singapore is SGD597 (i.e. HKD 3326) and Dubai is AED 1830 (i.e. HKD 3910). I think HK is in same bracket as these two places rather than other places.

hope this is fine.
    You can overstate the importance of Hong Kong in the Filipino labour market. Last month overseas Filipinos sent home over USD 3 billion. What tiny percentage of that came from Hong Kong do you think?

Saudi Arabia has just been reallowed to employ Filipinos after new protection has been put in place so the helpers could move there. Helpers here have just had a 25% increase in minimum wage, still pitifully low (about HKD 700 per month) but at least they can be with their families.
    qhank and Gatts like this.

One of the agencies that I used told me that if it's first job in HK, they will have to go back to Philippines first if they broke contract. And the backlog is due to Philippines side processing time. Not sure if this is true though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumbler:
    One of the agencies that I used told me that if it's first job in HK, they will have to go back to Philippines first if they broke contract. And the backlog is due to Philippines side processing time. Not sure if this is true though.
    Possible, even probable given Philippine bureaucracy, but I have seen nothing reported here.

Half the helpers in Hong Kong are from Indonesia aren't they? So any delay in processing in the Philippines would only delay half the helpers surely?
    jimbo_jones likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast