Like Tree71Likes

Helper Shortage in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jontol:

Knowing the general economics (which is my subject) - the salary is in this range for a reason. if it goes up, less people will be able to afford, and many helpers may go job less.

hope this is fine.
    Everything is based on supply and demand. And its obvious the supply is low and demand remains high. You cannot compare other countries given HK had positioned itself in the worst situation with their covid measures.

Where did you study econ?
    jimbo_jones and Crankshaft like this.

Moral policing at its best, classic Geo..

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Moral policing at its best, classic Geo..
    It's not so much moral policing, as a thread that makes absolutely no sense. OP claims to be in economics, but doesn't understand the basics supply and demand. He seems to be confusing it with price fixing. This is stuff that we covered in high school.

We are seeing this in many countries, there appears to be a shortage particularly with low wages workers. I say good on them for those who can take advantage of it. Hope they milk it as much as they can...Si se puede..Viva la revolucion!

Plutark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    We are seeing this in many countries, there appears to be a shortage particularly with low wages workers. I say good on them for those who can take advantage of it. Hope they milk it as much as they can...Si se puede..Viva la revolucion!
    I see a lot of adverts on Facebook for people leaving and explaining the soon to be availability of their helper.

I don’t know what the demand side is like at snapping them up, but supply shortages must be tempered to some extent by the number of affluent expats leaving.

Naturally we can expect most helpers would seek 1st to work for English-speaking expats, And with good reason it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:
    I see a lot of adverts on Facebook for people leaving and explaining the soon to be availability of their helper.

I don’t know what the demand side is like at snapping them up, but supply shortages must be tempered to some extent by the number of affluent expats leaving.

Naturally we can expect most helpers would seek 1st to work for English-speaking expats, And with good reason it seems.
    I saw some person on geo trying to hire a third helper. Fucking these people?
    Crankshaft likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    I saw some person on geo trying to hire a third helper. Fucking these people?
    What is so bad about that? Maybe that means each helper isn't overextended or overworked. They're providing jobs for more people that want them. What is your argument exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Mcdavid:
    What is so bad about that? Maybe that means each helper isn't overextended or overworked. They're providing jobs for more people that want them. What is your argument exactly?
    No particular problem but it did make me chuckle that a couple with one (non baby) child and one dog needs three full time live in (non driver) staff to help them survive.
    Crankshaft likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    No particular problem but it did make me chuckle that a couple with one (non baby) child and one dog needs three full time live in (non driver) staff to help them survive.
    Ah, see you left out those details. It could have been a family with three or four kids (including a baby or two), ailing grandparents, working parents, and dogs and cats for all I knew.

Anyway, maybe they have a huge house, maybe the kid is SEN or a holy terror, maybe the dog is huge/old, maybe they work 12 hour days, maybe they give their helpers lots of time off and low working hours, maybe, maybe, maybe.

I agree that it sounds excessive but all the power to them I guess.
    Mrs. Jones and Editor like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage:

Sliding the worm on the hook and now that the bait is set, time for trolling... Oh let's bite, it's saturday morning. Let's see... What is an English speaking expat? Where do Indians fit in? How about Singaporeans and Malaysians? There are hundreds of thousands of Chinese Canadians in HK, do they qualify or they are not the right color? How about the dastardly French and Germans? Do tell the superior cultures...