Like Tree40Likes

Need Advice : Trouble with Landlord

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bonaventure:
    Assuming the 'repair' was not carried out by you and is a pre-existing condition. Was the apartment leased through an estate agent who may have kept a record of the damage/defect?
    I rented a brand new apartment through an agent. That building is only 6 years old. It could be possible that the problem occurred during my stay and I didn't realize because I wasn't using it. But I don't want to entertain this claim as this came after I handed over the keys

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    u r screwed, LL rented an apartment with all working electrical appliances and now when they went back they found one that was not working anymore and you have no clue when it was broken as you say you didnt use it for over a year. they will still say you broke it lol

He says she says back and forth shite. Good luck getting that deduction back.

two options.

1. Suck it up and get it deducted from the deposit
    2. Fight the fecker and go to small claims court.

Yes, That's What is happening: Back and Forth Argument.

I'm wondering if small claims tribunal will give order in my favor.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyhk:
    Yes, That's What is happening: Back and Forth Argument.

I'm wondering if small claims tribunal will give order in my favor.
    how much are they asking to deduct, what appliance was it that was broken??

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007:
    how much are they asking to deduct, what appliance was it that was broken??
    HK$4500. Appliance is an electric water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsDiscuss:
    Very difficult to find trustworthy landlords on security deposits, tenant should request for cash settlement or don't hand over keys until payment cleared.

Best, if you didn't do any damage in house then adjust last 2 months rent in security and welcome the landlord to inspect the flat for damages, now I know many of you say it's not legal and contract prohibit it but it's better than suffering from unnecessary headache without any of your fault.
    Most landlords wont agree to terms like that. They have the advantage by holding the damage deposit as long as possible. Why take the risk of you damaging the flat when you move out.

The best way is to only give keys back once you receive payment in full (transfer or cash). Do not give keys back unless it is cleared. Once the keys are returned, you will have little to no leverage meaning youll have to go thru hurdles and/or at the mercy of the landlord.

If landlord plays games during repossession, you keep the keys and you keep the flat. Make the landlord evict you instead.
    sunyhk and LetsDiscuss like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyhk:
    HK$4500. Appliance is an electric water heater.
    If the landlord supplies the appliance to you, then it breaks through normal use, it would generally be the landlords responsibility to fix it and they bear the costs. The only time you should pay is if you deliberately damaged it.

Also have you been having cold showers for 6 years?
    jgl and FrancisX like this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Most landlords wont agree to terms like that. They have the advantage by holding the damage deposit as long as possible. Why take the risk of you damaging the flat when you move out.

The best way is to only give keys back once you receive payment in full (transfer or cash). Do not give keys back unless it is cleared. Once the keys are returned, you will have little to no leverage meaning youll have to go thru hurdles and/or at the mercy of the landlord.

If landlord plays games during repossession, you keep the keys and you keep the flat. Make the landlord evict you instead.
    How much is the deposit?

Did you and your landlord sign a handback document on the date you delivered the keys to the landlord? If no, you need to write a detailed statement of claims for submission to the court stating the landlord had accepted all finishes, fixtures and non-fixtures of the property were satisfactory and therefore, security deposit was returned to you without deduction.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If the landlord supplies the appliance to you, then it breaks through normal use, it would generally be the landlords responsibility to fix it and they bear the costs. The only time you should pay is if you deliberately damaged it.

Also have you been having cold showers for 6 years?
    It was working till October last year, then I was out of Hong Kong for 6 Months. Didn't use after returning since it was summers already.

Quote Originally Posted by tcjman:
    How much is the deposit?

Did you and your landlord sign a handback document on the date you delivered the keys to the landlord? If no, you need to write a detailed statement of claims for submission to the court stating the landlord had accepted all finishes, fixtures and non-fixtures of the property were satisfactory and therefore, security deposit was returned to you without deduction.
    HK$31,000 is the deposit.

No document was signed but the landlord signed the cheque in reception area of my building, covered by security cameras. Also, the cheque has bounced once.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsDiscuss:
    Very difficult to find trustworthy landlords on security deposits, tenant should request for cash settlement or don't hand over keys until payment cleared.

Best, if you didn't do any damage in house then adjust last 2 months rent in security and welcome the landlord to inspect the flat for damages, now I know many of you say it's not legal and contract prohibit it but it's better than suffering from unnecessary headache without any of your fault.
    No sensible landlord will return the deposit until after the tenant has moved out and they have done an inspection.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast