Like Tree40Likes

Need Advice : Trouble with Landlord

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    Most landlords wont agree to terms like that. They have the advantage by holding the damage deposit as long as possible. Why take the risk of you damaging the flat when you move out.
    Agree, landlord won't agree so tenant will not ask them, in the same way landlord didn't asked tenant before blocking the cheque in this case, just delay the payment 1st month and then tell landlord you will leave next month so security will be adjusted and he is welcome to inspect the flat.

i would have thought that water heater is fair wear and tear
    i had a heater break once on me (old) and the landlord replaced it

bdw likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by LetsDiscuss:
    Agree, landlord won't agree so tenant will not ask them, in the same way landlord didn't asked tenant before blocking the cheque in this case, just delay the payment 1st month and then tell landlord you will leave next month so security will be adjusted and he is welcome to inspect the flat.
    Yea.. but then you are the bad guy lol. But its a good option if you know the landlord is a dbag. This puts the problem back on the landlords court.

Quote Originally Posted by hkaneshiro:
    i would have thought that water heater is fair wear and tear
    i had a heater break once on me (old) and the landlord replaced it
    Totally, I rented that apartment for 5 years and only 1 such issue. And Landlord is treating me as if I burnt the entire bathroom.
    Morrison likes this.

If the water heater doesnt work, this is landlord problem and they cannot provide you a flat that doesnt have hot water. You should sue them for much more than the deposit amount for not providing you with a reasonable place to live!

FrancisX likes this.

Perhaps you could negotiate the amount of the alleged repair cost on a without admission basis.

Do you know the background of the landlord?

Quote Originally Posted by bonaventure:
    Perhaps you could negotiate the amount of the alleged repair cost on a without admission basis.
    Yes, I can try this. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcjman:
    Do you know the background of the landlord?
    Not sure. But they used to have a profitable business before the pandemic struck.

You're screwed. Landlords have the power once you hand over that key. It's an odd one though. Unless you did intentionally damage the heater (some kind of external damage - I'm slightly suspicious that you haven't used the heater since returning) then I can't see how it is anything but wear and tear. Example: our landlord just paid 15k to get the air conditioning fixed.

What you should have done is get the heater fixed and have landlord pay for it (as someone above notes, it is the LL's responsibility. By ignoring it, you opened the door and the landlord jumped right in.

Lesson learned I hope. Never trust a landlord. Hold back the rent for the equivalent of the deposit and commit to paying for anything you have genuinely damaged. Landlords don't like this? Unlucky. There's nothing they can do about it.

Oh, and don't take cheques. It's 2022.

Last edited by FrancisX; 22-09-2022 at 07:26 PM.
    sunyhk and bdw like this.