Like Tree219Likes

What book will you read next

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Just finished the Satanic Verses. Wow that was tough going... I certainty can't believe the Ayatollah ever read it, and can see why the impressionable fool who stabbed Rushdie only made it to page 2. Beautifully written but at the same time appallingly tough to follow and probably only relatable to 0.01% of the world population.

huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaky:
    Just finished the Satanic Verses. Wow that was tough going... I certainty can't believe the Ayatollah ever read it, and can see why the impressionable fool who stabbed Rushdie only made it to page 2. Beautifully written but at the same time appallingly tough to follow and probably only relatable to 0.01% of the world population.
    Midnight's Children is much better

Sid Meier’s Memoir!
    Dictated to a writer. Ok, but few details about how civ is implemented.

After finishing up season two of "Only Murders in the Building," and reading Steve Martin was likely retiring from film and TV work, I picked up and read his memoir. Good read. Good writer.Name:  PXL_20220831_044822841.MP.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  4.21 MB

Read this one a long time ago - it's factual, but reads like a Steven King page turner.

More and more that war reminds me of Ukraine - Stalin wanted to grab a piece of Finland - which was newly independent of Russia. They sent in a huge army - unmotivated and untrained soldiers. There is a story of a guy who randomly ran into a 'kommissar' when he went out to play his violin - 24 hours later he was at the front, in civilian clothes and still with his violin...

https://books.google.com.mx/books/ab...d=UC81AAAACAAJ

Pinball 1973. Unpolished, early Murakami.

Am reading The Missing Cryptoqueen.

This is an eye opener, the first 'blockchain' -(genesis block) was 'launched' in Hong Kong.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    Am reading The Missing Cryptoqueen.

This is an eye opener, the first 'blockchain' -(genesis block) was 'launched' in Hong Kong.
    the irony being that the cryptoqueen had zero to do with real cryptocurrencies. it wasnt even a blockchain

Just got this today while I was finishing off my Xmas shopping. My favourite Australian Larrikin and what/who was 'once' our typical everyday persona. Not much if any of that is left these days thanks to overt American globalisation, the pedal really getting to the metal ( so to speak) the moment the 21st century began.
    Name:  20221108_093003.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  2.16 MB

It should be a fun read even if it is some what wax lyrical, which I don't mind :-) Gen X( moi ) and Boomers will definitely enjoy this one

Last edited by Skyhook; 08-11-2022 at 07:57 AM.

I was thinking about the new 'unauthorized' biography of Bourdain, but am not sure I want to get into that. I'm currently 'vegging out' with an illustrated guide to the Big Lebowski.

Page 31 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast