Like Tree246Likes

Is my wedding too expensive?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Groom in China paid $88,000 and in return got $100,000 back.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com.hk/brid...cash-gift-tips

These things do indeed create interesting cultural clash dilemmas. Two people from different cultures falling in love, they have to accept that they need to conform to each others cultures. But the parents of these people never really signed up to budge on their cultural ways, its quite a tough process to get an old stubborn person to change his/her ways to please a son/daughter in law..

huja likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    These things do indeed create interesting cultural clash dilemmas. Two people from different cultures falling in love, they have to accept that they need to conform to each others cultures. But the parents of these people never really signed up to budge on their cultural ways, its quite a tough process to get an old stubborn person to change his/her ways to please a son/daughter in law..
    Time, not money, is the great equaliser.

When my wife and I first met, her family threatened to disown her. Years later they tried to interfere in how we raised our (then) babies.

It was hard for while but we both stood firm on these and other clashes, and now some 20 years later the relationship between us all is great - to the point where her mother has even told us how wrong she was.
    RobRoy, Sith and FitzgeraldW85 like this.

Time is the greatest equaliser in the long run but money is the greatest pacifier in the short run..

Dont just pay 88k in dowry, make an extra lai see of 1k and give it as cherry on top saying this is an important custom in your culture and then see little extra 1k goes 100k miles..

FitzgeraldW85 likes this.

Fuck customs and culture. These traditions are old and stretch back to when Chinese practiced polygamy.

If I can practice polygamy today (in an imaginary world where the women are okay with it), I would be happy to shell out even 880k per bride. Otherwise, this is just another fucking loss for men in terms of gender Equality.

It makes me sad to read some of the posts from you guys. "negotiating", "bargaining", "lai see". This is just men bending over and taking up the arse. This is why HK girls are the way they are today. Notorious for being a bossy privileged princesses.

Men. Time to stand up and stop this nonsense.

Last edited by D.YU; 29-09-2022 at 04:12 PM.
    snjt, FrancisX and Crankshaft like this.

Quote Originally Posted by D.YU:
    It makes me sad to read some of the posts from you guys. "negotiating", "bargaining", "lai see". This is just men bending over and taking up the arse. This is why HK girls are the way they are today. Notorious for being a bossy privileged princesses.
    Errr you are just taking it a notch above and over, lets just say groom is taking away a milking cow from a family and paying a little price for it, have a good laugh at the custom, make the important occasion fun and move on..

Since there are many NRI or RI in this channel.. do let us know, did you (the man) receive any dowry when you got married in the traditional or semi-traditional way ? in or outside of india ?

Quote Originally Posted by ndt:
    Errr you are just taking it a notch above and over, lets just say groom is taking away a milking cow from a family and paying a little price for it, have a good laugh at the custom, make the important occasion fun and move on..

Wutt? Taking away a milking cow? Marriage is between 2 people. Both Man and Woman should be treated equally. Why is it that the woman's side feels like its a "loss"? this type of custom/mentality is off sync with today's working and strong women.

Females wanted to be treated equally too right? Why is it the females side that needs special treatment at the expense of the man?
    snjt likes this.

I want to add that I am extremely pro equality. Meaning I see woman as equals. By paying dowry (or whatever you want to call it) to the woman's family, is just an insult to both sides. Its unfair for the man, and it is demeaning women.

Society has given women equality but certain advantages for them still remains.

Certain countries/cities mandate military service but it is only applied to men. But end of the day, women still complain for equality in pay and treatment. It is just so unfair that it is becoming a joke. Look at more extreme cases, Ukrainian women got to leave the country first and Russian men are forced into war.

Lol @ calling HK girls “milking cows”

ndt, D.YU and Crankshaft like this.