Like Tree31Likes

Drilling hard wall, how?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

So, I decided the most practical thing to do is mount the mirror on the wardrobe's door. I will mount it inside the door which is wood.

While checking out the warddroben's door, the frick'ing door fell off and hit the floor! Wow, if I had the mirror installed, would have broken it.

Turns out, the hinge on the door has a latch. Pull the latch, and the door comes off the wardrobe without warning. It is too easy to accidentally snag on it.

Last edited by Degen; 02-10-2022 at 11:25 PM.

And then buy a transformer? There are plenty of tool shops in HK to buy a cheap or a good drill.

I would always go for a good SDS one as it will last and you can use it for all concrete walls. You buy a non-SDS drill and 8 out of 10 times it's useless. Basically for us non-professionals all you need are 2. One powerful SDS drill and one good cordless drill/screwdriver then you are basically covered to do you own thing at home.

Btw @Degen if you are not sure if it is a concrete wall most of the times you can just feel/hear it. A non-concrete wall will sound hollow if you knock on it. If it doesn't it is most likely concrete.
    East_coast and Sage like this.

Mount on weird detachable wardrobe door as planned, lean against wall and just use as-is standing mirror... But wardrobe no door.

Turns out it’s a door that detaches!

Golly, who knew!

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    And then buy a transformer? There are plenty of tool shops in HK to buy a cheap or a good drill.
    No, Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Sith:
    I would always go for a good SDS one as it will last and you can use it for all concrete walls.
    Agree but I would also argue a battery powered SDS really is worth the extra for convenience

Link to Amazon for those to concerned by SSP or Thompson St and the British Peso seems good value at the moment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORX-WX394-..._t1_B00WE3NOIQ
    Last edited by East_coast; 03-10-2022 at 08:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    No, Yes

Agree but I would also argue a battery powered SDS really is worth the extra for convenience

Link to Amazon for those to concerned by SSP or Thompson St and the British Peso seems good value at the moment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/WORX-WX394-..._t1_B00WE3NOIQ

But your argument would lose, badly.

1) You can get a reasonable (ish) Chinese made SDS for $300 in HK: Half the price of your amazon link, no shipping fees, no long wait to receive and even returnable if it has a problem.

2) For someone who uses their drill once in a blue moon, your supposed convenience factor with battery is in fact the exact opposite from reality - They go to use it and the battery is flat. They're not lugging it all over town and using it whilst suspend from scaffolding, or on sites with no power, or outdoors in the wind and rain.

3) Battery powered adds massively to the cost - Many people will end up buying nothing if they have spend $700+ on a cordless. This is also the reason why people like the OP simply shouldn't buy a good SDS drill - buy a Chinese copy. Even the shittiest one on the market will be good enough to drill a few holes in concrete every few years.

They are also buying a cheap drill - Cheap drills have less power - cordless cheap drills, less power again. When drilling concrete cheaply, all your dollars should be put towards sufficient power, nothing else.

And finally, this is exactly why they should take the advice of experts
    Rob2020, Skyhook and qhank like this.

@OP - are your wardrobes IKEA PAX also? If so, The easiest solution is to swap the door for a mirrored door.

I'm moving to a place with built in wardrobes so bye bye Pax :-( Thank you for 10 years hard service!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    @OP - are your wardrobes IKEA PAX also? If so, The easiest solution is to swap the door for a mirrored door.

I'm moving to a place with built in wardrobes so bye bye Pax :-( Thank you for 10 years hard service!
    Judging by their experience of hinges so far, that's also a bad idea. Mirrored doors are way heavier and thus require more hinges. They couldn't even handle a 'normal' door without dropping it.

thats the 'beauty' of ikea...it just works together...

another option @OP - find your local hardware store. if you're just after 1 or 2 holes, you can probably see if the guy at the shop will come up and do the drilling for you. just pay him $100-$200 or something. They'll also have the wire detectors, so 2 less things taking up space in your apartment.