Like Tree12Likes

HKT Internet Termination - what should I do?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HKT Internet Termination - what should I do?

Back in June I switched internet providers and I had to cancel my contract. However, with my written email cancelation request to HKT, no response was provided even after multiple reminders. I obtained this email address after I verbally told them I want to cancel my services.

So long story short, I could not cancel my services and I decided just to not pay the final month and let them deal with it. I received a few late payment reminders and then finally a termination. The termination notice informs me that I now owe multiple months of services + the hardware (modem). I ignored them just like how they ignored my cancelation request.

Now I am being chased for around HKD2000 by a debt collector. This MF calls me every day but his number is flagged as “scammer” on my phone and he leaves me a voicemail each time asking me to call him.

My question here is should I be concerned or just ignore this stupid 2k BS? Will this impact my credit? Trying to call HKT is a nightmare and I do not want to waste anymore time listening to the queue music.

IIRC HKT service cancellation has to be done by handing in filled-in form at the shop (bastards are worse than fax culture) and i think if somehow you manage to get to CSR on the call, they will tell you the same.. No can not la, Richard says no, we want to make life difficult for leaving customers and try to make final extra bucks from customers failing to do so..

shri, emx and huja like this.

Unfortunately, this is the small price we pay for having the title of the world's free economy thingy. The power here is very asymetrical - consumers have to deal with a toothless consumer council while the businesses can off load burdens to their friendly collectors.

Visit a shop and see if you can clear things up. Not too sure how it works and what your remedies are when they've sold your debt to a collector..

Whatever. Fuck them. Its small amounts that I could careless over. Its the principle here. I can bet HKT has 1000s "debtor" passed to the collectors. Its shocking to see how fast and organized they are at passing my info and debt to these collectors. If only their core business internal processes were so efficient.

What does the $2xxx actually consist of? Get a breakdown. For example is it 3-4 months of outstanding monthly fees plus equipment?

I would pay for the existing outstanding monthly fees and arrange for their CS to pick up their modem etc. Read your T&C’s about their Termination Policy and see if you have followed their Termination procedure?. You can email the Consumer Council to explain and see if they can help?

Sending an e-mail to CS DOES NOT automatically terminate the contract. Did you send them the signed Termination Form?

This is how I terminated Netvigator....

You need to ask them for a Termination Form. Once you have the form, you can email the signed Termination Form to Netvigator, However, that does not mean that the service has been terminated.

They will send you a reply asking you to reconsider. Their CS will contact you with the message as below. Once you've spoken to CS and confirmed termination date, you to need to confirm when their Engineer can pick up the Modem/adaptor and/or NowTV box, cables and adaptor. Any missing equipment including cables is chargeable.

This is the email I received when I terminated with them earlier this year....

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for emailing NETVIGATOR.

With regards to your message, we are sorry to learn that you would like to terminateNETVIGATORbroadband service. We hope you may reconsider the termination request.

Please be informed that we have received your termination form, and we will pass it to related department follow-up. Our Service Representative will contact you again to confirm your request. Thank you.

If you have any further enquiries, please feel free to email us again or call our PCCW Consumer Service Hotline 1000.

Yours sincerely,

NETVIGATOR Customer Service
    Contact us: [email protected]

Last edited by ArrynField; 07-10-2022 at 01:09 PM.

The OFCA has guidelines on termination with all providers.

See page 15 of document for PCCW/HKT :-

“At least 30 days’ advance notice is required for a contract with or without a fixed term. If the notice period is less than 30 days, full service fee of the last month is still payable by the customer.Customer may submit service termination request 60 days before the contract ends.(Notes i) To avoid delay in processing the service termination request, customer shall ensure that all necessary information has been provided.(ii) A specific charge may apply in the event of early contract termination, such as payment of an amount for a gift or device provided tothe customer and the amount of such gift and device, any administration fee and the actual amount payable by customer for the remainder of the term.)”

https://www.ofca.gov.hk/filemanager/...ion_arr_en.pdf

I’ve always found the only way to deal with the nonsense from PCCW is to go directly to their customer service centre, formerly in Wan Chai, now in Sheung Wan. Be sure of your position, any evidence helps, refuse to budge and raise your voice if necessary.

I’ve rarely had success in a shop or over the phone. I’ve never failed In their customer service centre (and in fairness I’ve never needed to raise my voice because being right comes with a position of strength and in added fairness it’s seems to be staffed with competent people)

I got my Termination request form by contacting

[email protected]

They would have sent you a form similar to this. If you didn’t receive and/or complete, then there's nothing to confirm termination.

Attachment 87474

Sounds like you contractually owe them money.

Whether you pay or not is up to you.

Years back I did similar with NowTv. I was quite stubborn and eventually they went away. I remember them being very arsey about me paying for the box, even though I told them they were welcome to come over and pick up.

Don't ignore.. you'll prolly be back here to ask the same q 1 year later, then 5 years later about a court summon about a hkt bill you ignored and whether you should be concerned...

Have heard you might be able to bargain down the amount with debt collectors but don't know if it's true. Upside about the 1000 hotline is it will definitely lead you to someone eventually. I call and leave on speaker and redial until someone answers/try again next day - usually will get answered within the day, max 3 days.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast