Like Tree49Likes

2022/23 - CE Policy Address

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

• Local workforce has shrunk by 140,000. Govt will proactively "trawl the world" for talent. 2 year top talent scheme - annual salary 2.5M in 2 years + 100 top uni with 3 years work experience - will get a pass to "explore opportunities". Grads from top 100 uni without work experience will be allowed in but limit of 10K per year.
    • Vacancies in 13 professions or salaries of 2M HKD or above - employers will not have to submit proof of local hiring efforts.

Did not fully understand the first one here? What's the top talent 2.5m per year group going to get? Tax free salary or what's the incentive to come (this is common in high tax countries to attract top talents)?

The second point is laughable, a company that hires someone making 2m hkd+ is never having a problem to motivate why they took this person instead of a local. That is a 20 min effort by someone in HR, so wow, they reduced 20 min work in some HR departments..

RobRoy likes this.

I think elephant in the room was a phrase coined specifically to describe this speech.

Baklava likes this.

Name:  BBQ.JPG
Views: 316
Size:  40.3 KB

The only thing I was interested in hearing

Quote Originally Posted by jaswells:
    I think elephant in the room was a phrase coined specifically to describe this speech.
    What did I miss?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    We will find out which GeoExpat user has John on their WhatsApp contacts in around 18 hrs...

Top contenders are stamp duty, parking, tolls, new railway lines (something really new) and a new parking spot for me in Kennedy Twown... oh and something something Regina IP.
    Mm stamp duty was the only thing from all of the contenders (not just the top) in bold measures thread wasn't it.. I conspiracy theorize the parking spot ref was a last min red herring.

More what John seems intent on missing. None of his plans can come to fruition, or will even be affordable unless he deals with you know what.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_in_the_room

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaswells:
    More what John seems intent on missing. None of his plans can come to fruition, or will even be affordable unless he deals with you know what.
    May be there will be a mike drop moment when he ends his speech around 8PM.
    jaswells and Mrs. Jones like this.

The Government will cease new registration of fuel-propelled and hybrid private cars in 2035 or earlier.

In the coming three years, an additional 7 000 parking spaces with electric vehicle chargers will be provided in government premises.

Last edited by shri; 19-10-2022 at 01:15 PM.

His speech really is very monotone and probably good if you have insomnia and need some BGM/random white noise to sleep

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast