Like Tree6Likes

Asking for reference letters…after 1 year working for the firm

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Asking for reference letters…after 1 year working for the firm

As above, for some strange reason my company has asked for reference letters stating I worked at my last firms & for how long. Quite peculiar as I’ve been with the firm for over a year now and they already did references but now they want the references from HR, from my old firms.

This is quite odd imo but they said for audit purposes they need this. But quite frankly none of my previous firms requested or provided these. I didn’t ask them to provide as no future employer requested this type of reference

Has anyone had this situation (or similar) and what’s my standing legally if I can’t provide?

It’s either their way or the highway

For sure its not for audit purposes. Auditors don't care about that information.

Some companies do request a reference letter and should be provided by the company you are leaving/left, strange thing here though is indeed the need for it a year later, very strange.
    But you can just ask your previous company (either through your previous manager, if you had a good relationship with him/her) or HR. It shouldn't be a problem for them to provide it.

traineeinvestor likes this.

Every company I worked for and left, I have always received a letter from HR stating what my Job title was and how long I have worked there. Did you never get such a letter??

I worked for two small companies who completely fucked me over, like no last salary etc... There is no way I can get a reference from them so I have to make it up with some friend's company and pretend I worked there.

Bigger companies are usually fine and will just give a letter like "he/she worked from that date to this date".

It is really odd indeed, maybe someone within the company is questioning your experience and trying to get you fired. But no, this is Hong Kong, we don't backstab people here....

What I will do is just to consent the HR to send the request directly.. then if the old company refuses to response its the issue of the old company. I have met such companies before but usually they will ask you for the consent immediately after you join them, instead of 1 year later. Maybe during their internal audit they realized this reference letter is missing and they needed to fill the gap.. But I will not take this as a responsibility to be the one chasing for the reference letter.

shri and jgl like this.

This is probably internal audit questioning HR team who likely missed/skipped steps, that is the reference letter.
    They are now filling the gap to satisfy IA.

Make attempts to get the letter if possible, there's no need to cause any drama.
    It is unusual only because they should have done this prior to hiring.

Sith and Gollygordon like this.

someone's jealous

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    like no last salary
    In HK? :0

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast