Like Tree164Likes

World Cup in Qatar - The sideshow or the main event?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

CNN: UK foreign secretary under fire for saying LGBT soccer fans should be "respectful" at Qatar World Cup.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/27/footb...ntl/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    CNN: UK foreign secretary under fire for saying LGBT soccer fans should be "respectful" at Qatar World Cup.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/27/footb...ntl/index.html
    As usual the fucking liberals jump on the bandwagon. I’ll bet none of them have bothered to read either of the below. It is obviously distasteful put against current western liberalism but I have new for you Qatar is not the western world it’s an Islamic state. Read the rules on intimacy of any kind in public and dress code. Dubai was no different apart from the application of the law.

Quite frankly if people want to rainbow dress and hold hands in public in Qatar then I will be giving zero fucks for any of the consequences of those actions.

The time for protest was at the time of the appointment or when it became widespread knowledge of the shocking death toll of migrant construction workers. Guess what Dubai has that same issue.

Football authorities, both national and international put $ before anything else and continue to do so. Football fans will tut-tut but tune in in their billions.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ws-and-customs

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/lesbian-...-travel-advice
    shri, qhank and tparker like this.

I buy the argument of respecting the country and values system you are in to a point, but not with states like Qatar where only c. 10% of the settled population is Qatari. Even less so where a significant chunk of that 10% make a run for Bahrain every Thursday night to do all the things normal people like to do on the weekend.

They are running a money printing operation in the desert staffed by international expat/immigrant labour across the full spectrum of the income scale. Calling out all sorts of disagreements with how they are running it feels very reasonable.

Original Post Deleted
    Human rights abuses are not ok for any reason. However .. local laws.

The US and many other countries have warnings associated with HK and China too... the UK Foreign Sec's advice is in line with that I think - you break the local law, you deal with it on your own dime.

Quote Originally Posted by ByeByeEngland:
    As usual the fucking liberals jump on the bandwagon. I’ll bet none of them have bothered to read either of the below. It is obviously distasteful put against current western liberalism but I have new for you Qatar is not the western world it’s an Islamic state. Read the rules on intimacy of any kind in public and dress code. Dubai was no different apart from the application of the law.

Quite frankly if people want to rainbow dress and hold hands in public in Qatar then I will be giving zero fucks for any of the consequences of those actions.

The time for protest was at the time of the appointment or when it became widespread knowledge of the shocking death toll of migrant construction workers. Guess what Dubai has that same issue.

Football authorities, both national and international put $ before anything else and continue to do so. Football fans will tut-tut but tune in in their billions.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ws-and-customs

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/lesbian-...-travel-advice
    Point missed. Goal kick awarded. Those "fucking liberals" don't need to read the links you have posted because those links are irrelevant.

The arguments are not about Qatar as a country, but Qatar as a World Cup host and the obligation it has as host to respect the values of FIFA, which include acceptance and inclusion of LGB fans. This isn't up for debate.

Nice though that you wouldn't have a problem with Qatar locking up gay football fans for having the temerity to not go back inside the closet. Showing your class.

Human rights abuses are not ok for any reason. However .. local laws.

The US and many other countries have warnings associated with HK and China too... the UK Foreign Sec's advice is in line with that I think - you break the local law, you deal with it on your own dime.
    See above. This has very little to do with Qatar's laws and everything to do with the promises it made to FIFA when awarded host nation status.

(I should add I don't for a second think Qatar should have been awarded the World Cup, but that is a separate argument)

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    See above. This has very little to do with Qatar's laws and everything to do with the promises it made to FIFA when awarded host nation status.

(I should add I don't for a second think Qatar should have been awarded the World Cup, but that is a separate argument)
    Very specifically, did they agree to suspend local / shariah or whatever laws when it came to dealing with these protests?

Agree... Should never ever have been granted the world cup, but I don't know what fifa extracted out of them, other cash.

CNN: UK foreign secretary under fire for saying LGBT soccer fans should be "respectful" …
    He should be under fire for saying soccer
    ByeByeEngland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by snjt:
    He should be under fire for saying soccer
    Probably CNN..

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisX:
    Point missed. Goal kick awarded. Those "fucking liberals" don't need to read the links you have posted because those links are irrelevant.

The arguments are not about Qatar as a country, but Qatar as a World Cup host and the obligation it has as host to respect the values of FIFA, which include acceptance and inclusion of LGB fans. This isn't up for debate.

Nice though that you wouldn't have a problem with Qatar locking up gay football fans for having the temerity to not go back inside the closet. Showing your class.
    Sorry but as usual you have missed the point entirely. Qatar should never have been awarded the World Cup. Once it was awarded there was zero effort at change apart from a bit of tokenism.

Not once in my post, nor anywhere else on Geo (I hope) have I ever expressed views that you are suggesting I have. My point is simply this. Liberalism works in the West it does NOT work in Islamic countries. Whether that is awful by western standards is not the debate. Whether people jump over the border for fun is not the debate, whether Dubai effectively silently endorses expat behaviour in and around the Marina, Jumeirah beach and other places and allows liquor licenses for westerners is not the debate.

Within the borders of Qatar the rules have not changed and are not going to change before the World Cup. Now if you’d bothered even to read the first article there is expected behaviour and dress code long before you even get into sexuality issues. That is a simple fact. Boundaries are going to be challenged and it is sometimes not going to be pretty.

The point is simple. Liberalism works in the western world. It isn’t happening in Qatar and other Middle Eastern states and quite frankly there is no meaningful global sporting or political will to challenge it.
    tparker likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast