Like Tree34Likes

HK to rename parks?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish Man:
    Sinofication in China,of all places?

What madness LOL
    Hong Kong is very different from China though. There are great regional, cultural and ethnic differences within China as well. It is ignorant and perhaps even racist to lump all ethnic Chinese and Chinese nationals together.

Oh hell yeah! USA needs to rename about half its places from those of the English colonial overloads. F---- "New York," let's go back to Lenapehoking.

My town on Long Island maintains its original Indian name, Patchogue, we never bowed to the colonial oppressors.

rabbithop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Man:
    Sinofication in China,of all places?

What madness LOL
    Sinification of Hong Kong, that now belongs to China.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    Oh hell yeah! USA needs to rename about half its places from those of the English colonial overloads. F---- "New York," let's go back to Lenapehoking.

My town on Long Island maintains its original Indian name, Patchogue, we never bowed to the colonial oppressors.
    The analogy makes no sense since there the overlord and the colonists were essentially the same race and there is no link from the majority of the population to native americans. I completely understand and support cities/countries that prefer honoring the local culture. In Quebec, many prominent streets and parks were renamed away from English colonial names to local legends. In Montreal, a major street called Dorchester Boulevard was renamed after Rene Levesque, a prominent politician there and that's the way it should be.

Local people should recognize themselves in their town and it shouldn't be tied to the past especially to colonizers. New Zealand has also done an excellent job in promoting island culture something that has sorely been lacking in North America. More and more people are calling NZ Aotearoa, Kia Ora is now a popular greeting there and just about every NZ school has a haka dance. Ideally, Hong Kong would do the same and honor its CANTONESE heritage and culture. Many people particularly from the anglo saxon world which dominates fail to recognize the importance for a minority to preserve its heritage and foster pride in it. One thing that comes up time and time again in native population with high suicide rate is the lack of pride and self esteem and the disconnect to their culture. Even is she was a useless puppet that was massively unpopular, I would still rather see a Carrie Lam Rd than a Gloucester Rd. In any case, no need to go there, there are enough worthy people in HK to replace old colonial names.

Even is she was a useless puppet that was massively unpopular, I would still rather see a Carrie Lam Rd than a Gloucester Rd.
    Naah!! That would increase the suicide rate.. Enough film stars and canto pop stars to replace the name and instill positivity, put a pic of celebrity next to street name and it might even become viral insta-worthy spot..

Red hot framing bias strikes again.. don't be starting to answer the wrong question for the next few decades and conjure up a self-made hatred of all things western when there was none before..

Local people should recognize themselves in their town and it shouldn't be tied to the past especially to colonizers.
    Agree 100%. But if ppl didn't feel this way before handover at all or strong enough to lobby for renaming before some stupid ho brought it up, then what are we really talking abt.. absolutely nothing other than having suddenly developed strangely new found anger towards evil colonizing western nations.. :x

Hong Kong is very different from China though. There are great regional, cultural and ethnic differences within China as well. It is ignorant and perhaps even racist to lump all ethnic Chinese and Chinese nationals together.
    Agree 200%. The tragedy is the Chinese are the ones lumping dem folks together and actively (direct and indirectly) obliberating cultural differences. The term ethnic Chinese is the biggest form of subtle racism bcos the last time I checked, China didn't invent the chinese dna. Put it simply - if the land of China and all the PRC Chinese worldwide suddenly vanished this moment, guess what..the chinese race still exists..

I'm chinese and I resent being called ethnic Chinese. I hate it bcos I can't even get past how stupid it sounds before I can make it a racist issue. I used to see it used only in tourism shops marketing bs like ethnic costumes bla bla. Now I see it used everywhere in HK and even the Russians are voluntarily signing up to look as stupid as the Chinese..'ethnic Russians' here and there. It sounds fucking dumb, seriously just try it. Use a news article from any other country where the context works and read it out loud by replacing non-ethnic (whatever) in place..

No one seems to like my idea of following the location for street names (I just noticed..see, even the playground pic in the article is like that!) or auctioning it for $$
    Last edited by sarsi; 13-11-2022 at 10:54 AM.

Bruce Lee Boulevard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornmeal:
    Bruce Lee Boulevard.
    Can we reserve Bruce Lee for the T-ending stuff..

BLT..

Quote Originally Posted by sarsi:
    Red hot framing bias strikes again.. don't be starting to answer the wrong question for the next few decades and conjure up a self-made hatred of all things western when there was none before..

Agree 100%. But if ppl didn't feel this way before handover at all or strong enough to lobby for renaming before some stupid ho brought it up, then what are we really talking abt.. absolutely nothing other than having suddenly developed strangely new found anger towards evil colonizing western nations.. :x
    Having pride in your own culture and representing your city/country with your own icons is not about hatred, it's about pride and self esteem. The local population should see themselves in their home and not visiting/conquering foreigners from long ago, it makes no sense at all. There's no need to manufacture hate on either side of the debate. HK culture is being squeezed from the North and from it's past, in order to fight or delay assimilation, it has to stand up or it will be erased.

Discussing pride and self esteem as a response and reflex reaction in this specific context thrown out by a HK politician for the purpose of looking useful and patriotic so that he can cover his ass to avoid being NSLed and extradited to China in the remotest of risk has everything to do with subtle hatred manufacturing and cowardice and nothing to do with real pride and self-esteem of HK ppl..

aw451 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast