Like Tree3Likes

Doctors Charged: Manslaughter

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    https://www.thestandard.com.hk/secti...r-over-blunder

Honestly, I don't understand if this guy is on the patient's side or on the other side I read that he is HK Patients' voices chairman
    Is it ok for public doctors to messed up? Private practice doctors do not have risks? what a BS FFS
    sorry, rant's over
    There's a lobby group that has historically tried to fight any wage increases for domestic helpers. They're called something along the lines of "HK Domestic Helper Association" or something similarly misleading.

Yes..from the link above^

I was thinking same like Andy SNK, what nonsense abt public docs, like prv ones would be any diff. The whole thing sounds devastating, seems totally avoidable if one of them or someone had noticed the meds/carrier status but filing criminal charges, manslaughter to boot out of the blue after 6 yrs is all kinds of wrong.. like police catching you for murder when they know exactly why the victim died 6 yrs ago.. if I were a doc of any kind, I would be looking v seriously to leave HK asap..

So now I'm wondering if this had anything do with it.. could it be a one-off, not a trend.. Alex Lam going on abt public docs wldn't sound that nonsensical then..

Tang eventually underwent two surgeries by a team of top liver experts including now Secretary for Health Lo Chung-mau to receive part of a liver from an unrelated female donor
    Name:  IMG-20221101-WA0000.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  1.8 KB

Yesterday, 02:28 PM
    er2

Join DateOct 2007Posts1,830

Doesn't manslaughter require intend to harm?

Manslaughter is culpable carelessness, without intent to harm; otherwise it's assault (or murder).

Quote Originally Posted by PBPBPBPB:
    Yesterday, 02:28 PM
    er2

Join DateOct 2007Posts1,830

Manslaughter is culpable carelessness, without intent to harm; otherwise it's assault (or murder).
    Why are doctors being blamed for poor quality IT systems that failed to match failed test results with planned procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by er2:
    para 14 at page 19-32.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/...-I.pdf?noembed
    Last edited by shri; 13-01-2023 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Why are doctors being blamed for poor quality IT systems that failed to match failed test results with planned procedures.
    Not been following and unfamiliar with this case.

Is that what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not been following and unfamiliar with this case.

Is that what happened?
    No. Hospital Authority have basic IT systems from what I know and rely on humans to ask for the right tests and to analyze the results. They should probably have much better systems and outcomes like this would be much less likely to happen. A cynic might think Doctors are now being treated in the same way as bus drivers who could but don't have all sorts of driver aids to reduce risks.
    shri likes this.

Medical council inquiry link below. Wishful thinking on my part for conspiracy.. doesn't look to be since the transplant op was bcos of acute liver failure caused by the 2 docs' forgetting to prescribe/check if any anti-virals alongside the high dose steroids meds..

Still dunno why manslaughter for this case ;_; the 2nd doc only saw the patient once.. sad outcome all round..

https://www.mchk.org.hk/english/comp...(redacted).pdf

an interesting case.

The Medical Council allows the two doctors to continue to work as doctors (as they received suspended sentence). The Hospital Authority allows them to continue to work as doctors.

It would be interesting to see what the prosecution has to say as to why they are "grossly negligent".

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    No. Hospital Authority have basic IT systems from what I know and rely on humans to ask for the right tests and to analyze the results. They should probably have much better systems and outcomes like this would be much less likely to happen. A cynic might think Doctors are now being treated in the same way as bus drivers who could but don't have all sorts of driver aids to reduce risks.
    And the humans rely on Google. I kid you not that two doctors have googled things that I raised up in front of me.

I give credit to the doctors for not giving me a bullshit answer, ignoring my question, downplaying, etc, but surely a Hospital Authority built (or access to subscription to a) database / software / encyclopaedia / etc ought to exist!