View Poll Results: Any plans to head into China Mainland since the border reopened?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Already been

7 10.45%
  • Going next week

2 2.99%
  • Going soon after CNY

1 1.49%
  • Will go in a few months

12 17.91%
  • Maybe sometime this year

11 16.42%
  • No need to go anytime soon

5 7.46%
  • No need to go

29 43.28%
Like Tree50Likes

When will you go to the mainland?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

If I could I would. Some lovely people, some great and many very weird experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    I think there was probably a time in the last two decades when Tibet overland (by public bus) was possible.
    I think picking up a hire car and driving would be a better experience than by bus.

We hired a guide/driver and drove around Tibet twenty-plus years ago. We drove to Everest basecamp via the "Friendship Highway." It was neither friendly, nor was it a highway. It wasn't even a proper road.

drumbrake, hullexile and jabalong like this.

We drove to Everest basecamp via the "Friendship Highway." It was neither friendly, nor was it a highway. It wasn't even a proper road.
    The beginnings of new age snowflake labelism..

Googled to see where this was, can't help it, I love maps too esp when I get to edit/contrast it w normal names aka Line of Actual Control ;p

Name:  IMG-20230120-WA0000.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  57.8 KB

Blue edit mine. Map says 20+hrs from Friendship Bridge to Lhasa by car..

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    I don't think the ones I met hate mainland, fear it probably. Also delusional about the actual state of the country and its people, believing what Apple daily or similar have been feeding them.
    As someone who can read Chinese, I can tell you Apple Daily does not make you deluded about China. It was simply the only media on Chinese soil that focused on political and social issues censored in mainland Chinese media. Media outlets in the mainland will never cover Weiquan Lawyers or Liu Xiaobo's 08 Charter, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Yes, this poll. Certainly not accurate but very indicative. I have already pointed out the poll is flawed as it wouldn't include people too poor to go. But again it is indicative which should have taken away the surprise one poster had that people don't want to visit the mainland.

Attachment 88124
    They were talking about HK locals though. Vast majority of us here aren't locals and have no ties to the Mainland.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Why? This vote showed 50% of the residents here see no need to go to the Mainland. This sample doesn't include those that cant afford to go.

Jumping to the conclusion it is due to hared probably says a lot more about you than them. But the answer is no. Many people see the Mainland as an inferior version of Hong Kong with high wealth disparity, worse universal health, worse education, worse hygiene regulations compliance, higher taxes and insurance but a little cheaper for some entrainment activities. HK is a long way from any locations really worth visiting in China.

It's a pity every mainland secondary school student didn't get the chance to visit Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Australia or Singapore. That would be better for the country.
    Haven't these people ever been required to travel to the mainland for business purposes? Particularly if they work in the manufacturing or financial sector.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    And those 2% would not even be able to get a visa at the moment.
    Which is great, it makes China a better place.
    Also curious, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankshaft:
    Also curious, why?
    You have basically answered it yourself,
    Too many “ why” when there. 老why.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    You have basically answered it yourself,
    Too many “ why” when there. 老why.
    Thanks. I assume asking you to elaborate would be as useless as asking why in the first place.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast