Like Tree12Likes

Donating IKEA furniture and possibly also a smart TV to charity

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Not sure which area you live, but have you tried the Buy Nothing groups that serve your area on Facebook? There are groups for Mid-Levels, Southside, Kowloon etc. You can take pictures and gauge response pretty quickly. Smaller furniture items (like chairs, lamps) may be easier to get rid of this way.

Another option is, if there is a WhatsApp or Facebook group for your building, to post a message that you are giving stuff away. If distance is short (up or down in a building lift), it might go easier. This is how we got rid of our old TV.

When we renovated we had the most luck in giving stuff away in our building estate and also selling items on Carousel and Facebook Marketplace for cheap, but we had a month and were prepared for no-shows and scheduling hassles. Unsurprisingly we could not get rid of the largest items (sofa, dining table, TV console) so ultimately we had to haul them to the neighborhood dump late at night.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If you want to get rid of stuff for free, you carry it yourself to a public refuse collection point. They are everywhere and you probably dont need to carry more than a few blocks. Do it late at night if you dont want the embarrasment of people watching you carry a sofa down the street

https://www.fehd.gov.hk/english/map/...rm_type=refuse
    Last time I carried a sofa down the street, we turned it into an urban photo-shoot, and for a short while it also turned into a train for the kids in the estate.
    bdw likes this.

I think the trouble is it's so hard to find the exact piece of IKEA furniture you want it's hard to sell. That, and given they're not known to withstand moves.

I was recently in the market looking for specific IKEA cabinets actually... but just ended up buying new because it was so hard to find anything directly relevant typing in things like "BESTA tv cabinet" with all the different combos available. In the past I've successfully dismantled and reassembled some IKEA cabinets between moves without issues though.

As for Carousell, contrary to earlier advice, definitely post it as "for free". Gets a lot more looks. In the past I've given away some crystal chandeliers and a mattress for free, but asked the person to pay a small ($50) deposit first which I fully refunded on pick-up. Avoided disappointment for myself for no-shows and not have the item go to waste. I only had 2 days to get rid of them and had reasonable interest by multiple parties... so there's still hope for yours!

ecy5mak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cash Trader:
    Not sure which area you live, but have you tried the Buy Nothing groups that serve your area on Facebook? There are groups for Mid-Levels, Southside, Kowloon etc. You can take pictures and gauge response pretty quickly. Smaller furniture items (like chairs, lamps) may be easier to get rid of this way.

Another option is, if there is a WhatsApp or Facebook group for your building, to post a message that you are giving stuff away. If distance is short (up or down in a building lift), it might go easier. This is how we got rid of our old TV.

When we renovated we had the most luck in giving stuff away in our building estate and also selling items on Carousel and Facebook Marketplace for cheap, but we had a month and were prepared for no-shows and scheduling hassles. Unsurprisingly we could not get rid of the largest items (sofa, dining table, TV console) so ultimately we had to haul them to the neighborhood dump late at night.

Thank you. I live in Whampoa Gardens, and was not able to find any WhatsApp group or Facebook group the entire time I have been here. Which is strange since there was a very active Facebook group in Peng Chau and when we moved from PC - > Whampoa we were able to sell a lot of stuff via the group itself.

I tried putting a FOR SALE poster on the notice board in lobby and on my door, but it was promptly taken down by the guards

There is definitely a Whatsapp group for Whampoa given it is a very old family type of estate.
    What you need to do is approach parents in the kids playground and ask them.
    Ask for any 'parent groups' for the estate.

ecy5mak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ecy5mak:
    Thank you. I live in Whampoa Gardens, and was not able to find any WhatsApp group or Facebook group the entire time I have been here. Which is strange since there was a very active Facebook group in Peng Chau and when we moved from PC - > Whampoa we were able to sell a lot of stuff via the group itself.

I tried putting a FOR SALE poster on the notice board in lobby and on my door, but it was promptly taken down by the guards
    just asked a friend and am told there's an fb group named 黃埔好東西
    ecy5mak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hiki08:
    just asked a friend and am told there's an fb group named 黃埔好東西
    Wow, Thank you. Just sent a join request.

Have you tried listing your items on Carousell?

Quote Originally Posted by james_hklocal:
    Have you tried listing your items on Carousell?
    Name:  Unknown-9.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  105.1 KB

Yup. Got 3 messages but they were very suspicious, wanted to buy without even asking any basic questions..and within a few hours all 3 got suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ecy5mak:
    Name:  Unknown-9.jpeg
Views: 106
Size:  105.1 KB

Yup. Got 3 messages but they were very suspicious, wanted to buy without even asking any basic questions..and within a few hours all 3 got suspended
    It is a common scam that is going around on Carousell.

Basically trying to get you to do a 'carousell protect delivery' (which doesn't exist in Hong Kong), sends you to a phishing site and they will try to grab your one time bank pin code.