Like Tree44Likes

Local / Western restaurant recommendations for touristy types

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Not sure if this has been mentioned ... a fair few people who have left HK / returned or just live here, in our group of friends like to treat themselves at Din Tai Fung ... just slightly elevated Dim Sum .. not bad at all.

https://www.dintaifung.com.hk/menue.php?foodType=1

Quote Originally Posted by SonicYouth1:
    I was thinking Wooloomooloo may not be the best, maybe more a personal choice but I don't think eating out at those pure steakhouses would be worth it for the money. There's only so many ways you can cook a western steak imo

Junon has a long history in HK, over 50 years and I heard it's a regular for some of those TV celebrities. I don't think dimsum is a bad choice as well for a daytime meal though I'm not an expert on which places are good.

The dimsum places I went to recently are good for the food but environment a little cramped. More for taking friends than family
    They do have other dishes, not just steak, the recommendation was equally for the ambience and view

Quote Originally Posted by RobRoy:
    My parents are highly skeptical of new food, it took them multiple visits to HK before they even tried real Chinese food.
    Ahhahaha this takes me back.

Many many years ago I was travelling on business in the mainland and a member of the team I was with was a fragile northern lady who was not having much fun with Chinese cuisine.

On one of the last days of the trip, the local organizer said that due to some business successfully conducted, our hosts would like to treat us to a big hotpot meal that night.

The lady in question's eyes lit up, she said "oh wow we will be eating Lancashire hotpot today?!"
    Maz1989 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned ... a fair few people who have left HK / returned or just live here, in our group of friends like to treat themselves at Din Tai Fung ... just slightly elevated Dim Sum .. not bad at all.

https://www.dintaifung.com.hk/menue.php?foodType=1
    I prefer Jade thingy over DTF.

It finally clicked what/ where Junon is. It's that place by the Wanchai Post Office. It was opened up by some celebrities that recently pulled out right?

My go tos with visitors:

Sevva for a drink and the view (esp in this weather)
    Hutong
    Felix
    L'envol
    VEA

Chinese:
    Mott 32
    WING (need to get a big group but boy is it impressive)

If you know someone who is friendly with the 'old school' restaurants, it's worth going...eg Fook Lam moon, Seventh son etc. It's tougher otherwise to navigate there.

Seafood in Lamma or Po Toi O

RobRoy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chobochobo:
    I prefer Jade thingy over DTF.

It finally clicked what/ where Junon is. It's that place by the Wanchai Post Office. It was opened up by some celebrities that recently pulled out right?
    Crystal Jade quality will vary from location to location.... significantly. whereas DTF has consistency. something to consider especially for Chinese food.
    huja likes this.

DTF only really does the Xiaolung bao competently. Everything else is quite meh. I haven't tried all the Crystal Jades (Shatin, Wanchai and Harbour city) and they've been okay. I can only speak from experience

Quote Originally Posted by GentleGeorge:
    Ahhahaha this takes me back.

Many many years ago I was travelling on business in the mainland and a member of the team I was with was a fragile northern lady who was not having much fun with Chinese cuisine.

On one of the last days of the trip, the local organizer said that due to some business successfully conducted, our hosts would like to treat us to a big hotpot meal that night.

The lady in question's eyes lit up, she said "oh wow we will be eating Lancashire hotpot today?!"
    Ah Lancashire hotpot! I haven't heard/ read those words for over 30 years. Do I miss it, not sure LOL

Also LOL at ninja edit of thread title.
    Last edited by chobochobo; 15-03-2023 at 12:11 PM.
    Maz1989 likes this.

So where did we finally go for Chinese food and was it a success?

We went to our favorite Chinese restaurant which been there for ages by now Ye Shanghai in Pacific Place (we ourselves are not huge fans of Canto Chinese). We carefully ordered dishes that are not too extreme and it was a success, parents liked almost everything and some dishes were even getting some Wow's, like the slow cooked beef which is served with a red wine sauce on the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiojiri Hiro:
    My go tos with visitors:

Sevva for a drink and the view (esp in this weather)
    Hutong
    Felix
    L'envol
    VEA

Chinese:
    Mott 32
    WING (need to get a big group but boy is it impressive)

If you know someone who is friendly with the 'old school' restaurants, it's worth going...eg Fook Lam moon, Seventh son etc. It's tougher otherwise to navigate there.

Seafood in Lamma or Po Toi O
    Doing all those in a week will put a pretty nice dent/hole in the wallet

Felix, Lenvol or VEA which one is your favorite, have tried neither, I should try one of them

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast