Like Tree74Likes

Red meat and dairy

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DonDiego:
    Processed meat, alcohol, and tobacco all classified as type 1 carcinogen. Makes me laugh to see some of the responses. In the end, regardless of what we eat or what we do, we have no idea whether it will have an effect on our own longevity or quality of life. Anyone can be hit by a bus, have a congenital malformation or get a freak disease regardless of our habits. I see supposed environmentalists rave about their plant-based diet but flying to go on holidays a few times a year. How many times I've heard drinkers trying to justify their habit with the "good for the heart" study or the chocolate addict going on about the merits of chocolate. Carbs are bad, fats are bad, sugar is bad, GMO food is bad... Eat organic... Live in the countryside, less stress and pollution...What's the flavor this week?

Bottom line is that people should do what makes them feel good and happy, let other people be, and avoid lecturing others about what might or might not be best for them. Most of this is common sense and most things in moderation are not that likely to cause our demise. In the end, no one knows how and when they are going to die unless they do the job themselves.
    If most of this is common sense, and most things in moderation are not that likely to cause our demise, why the visceral reaction to keeping red meat consumption moderate? (which means significant reduction in most people's case).

Sounds like you're a textbook case of living in denial.
    East_coast and periphery831 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelensky2:
    If most of this is common sense, and most things in moderation are not that likely to cause our demise, why the visceral reaction to keeping red meat consumption moderate? (which means significant reduction in most people's case).

Sounds like you're a textbook case of living in denial.
    Absolutely. Moderation

Would you abstain from ALL outdoor fitness activity given the proven link to outdoor sport and skin cancer? No. A normal reaction would be to moderate. It would be seen as an extreme approach to abstain.

https://www.runnersworld.com/health-...t-skin-cancer/
    Last edited by East_coast; 30-03-2023 at 12:05 AM.
    UniqueUserName likes this.

For me, a big part of it is wanting to minimize animal suffering. As for the environment:

The actions of the many do not take away from what needs to be done.

“A vegan diet is probably the single biggest way to reduce your impact on planet Earth, not just greenhouse gases, but global acidification, eutrophication, land use and water use,” said Joseph Poore, at the University of Oxford, UK, who led the research. “It is far bigger than cutting down on your flights or buying an electric car,” he said, as these only cut greenhouse gas emissions.”
    https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.aaq0216

There is clear empirical evidence that what we're currently doing is not sustainable for the world for the long term. Just one person consuming one piece of meat like beef would require years and lbs of food and water to raise just one cow. It's a highly inefficient food system when we have other options that can already replicate or even come close to the taste and texture of meat-based products. We will not be able to sustain our growing population if we keep doing what most people currently are doing.

If the world adopted a plant-based diet we would reduce global agricultural land use from 4 to 1 billion hectares.
    https://ourworldindata.org/land-use-diets

What they don't want you to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQRAfJyEsko

periphery831 likes this.

I’m sure most of us would endorse more humane ways of slaughtering animals, birds and fish but reading an ‘unbiased’ report from a vegan is a bit like reading Sage’s mask stories (lack of balance and in the case of the latter, truth). I have no problem per se with anyone that chooses the vegan path.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:

Yes the videos are gory but only 144 prosecutions for poor husbandry out of ~300,000 farms in the UK. Fewer in Denmark and other developed countries.

Do you run in the sun?
    What is the largest organ of an Animal?

Everyone needs to watch this. It should be mandatory in schools.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Yes the videos are gory but only 144 prosecutions for poor husbandry out of ~300,000 farms in the UK. Fewer in Denmark and other developed countries.

Do you run in the sun?
    What is the largest organ of an Animal?
    How much monitoring of farms by third parties do you really think happens? As a vegan, any use of an animal is wrong to me. Pets included, but if they're rescues it's fine. Both cats and dogs live longer on a vegan diet too:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...nary-professor

Like my own diet, some dialing in is required, but I was already a nutrition nerd before I went vegan.

Unfortunately with bees and crop pollination, we don't really have a choice, but I don't consume honey. The only animal product I consume (added them back to my diet recently) is mussels. They have no CNS and actually clean up marine environments (primarily of farm waste). They don't require feeding and no trawling of the sea bed is required.

I don't run in the sun. Largest organ is skin. What was your point?

How much monitoring of farms by third parties do you really think happens?
    Sufficient. Near zero issues found and many studies show the industry from farmers to supermarkets need high levels of compliance and their are high levels of compliance.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...7114131200131X

As a vegan, any use of an animal is wrong to me. Pets included, but if they're rescues it's fine.
    No leather, wool, manure, uplands farming scenery, caesar salads, white wine, prescription drugs etc.

The only animal product I consume (added them back to my diet recently) is mussels. They have no CNS and actually clean up marine environments (primarily of farm waste). They don't require feeding and no trawling of the sea bed is required.
    Crispy crunchy jellyfish?

I don't run in the sun. Largest organ is skin. What was your point?
    Holding a firm and extreme position because of a small probability is something I struggle to understand.

I think I would miss holidays in small towns pretty towns that a reliant on agriculture.

Name:  Draenogan_Farm_-_geograph.org.uk_-_398054.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  141.5 KB
    Name:  DSC02106-1024x683.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  309.5 KB
    Last edited by East_coast; 31-03-2023 at 12:09 AM.

Ok here is the best reason for not consuming animal products

Name:  _20230403_131715.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  110.0 KB

Stick to drinking milk from bulls.

East_coast likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast