Like Tree53Likes

De-registering organ non-donor - crime?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

De-registering organ non-donor - crime?

I have registered as an organ donor in Hong Kong years and years ago. For certain reasons, I don't want my organs to possibly be donated to mainland China, so I would cancel my registration. Now, dear Chief crEtin Lee, what crime or wrong-doing I conceivably could have committed in doing so? Moreover, even if I couldn't surely remember after all these years did I really sign up as an organ donor, or did I just think about doing so, I would definitely try to cancel my registration, just to be sure I am not a donor under your plan to share organs with mainland China. Again, dear Chief crEtin, what crime or wrong-doing am I committing there??

Quote Originally Posted by Ellenna:
    I have registered as an organ donor in Hong Kong years and years ago. For certain reasons, I don't want my organs to possibly be donated to mainland China, so I would cancel my registration. Now, dear Chief crEtin Lee, what crime or wrong-doing I conceivably could have committed in doing so? Moreover, even if I couldn't surely remember after all these years did I really sign up as an organ donor, or did I just think about doing so, I would definitely try to cancel my registration, just to be sure I am not a donor under your plan to share organs with mainland China. Again, dear Chief crEtin, what crime or wrong-doing am I committing there??
    Has he suggested it's a crime? Or just said it's disgraceful? Having an opinion on which lives are worthy enough to be saved by your donation is shaky ground I think.. Also need to be careful as sharing cross-border probably works more in HKers' favour given this is such a small place, so this trend of withdrawing from the register is likely to hurt HK people most of all.

That's not to say JL has handled it well - he hasn't. What he should have done was instead reassure people that there will be checks and balances in place to ensure it's fair, and also emphasised that this scheme would be more for the benefit of HKers than the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Has he suggested it's a crime? Or just said it's disgraceful? Having an opinion on which lives are worthy enough to be saved by your donation is shaky ground I think.. Also need to be careful as sharing cross-border probably works more in HKers' favour given this is such a small place, so this trend of withdrawing from the register is likely to hurt HK people most of all.

That's not to say JL has handled it well - he hasn't. What he should have done was instead reassure people that there will be checks and balances in place to ensure it's fair, and also emphasised that this scheme would be more for the benefit of HKers than the other way round.
    RTHK news today: [ Ahead of this week's Executive Council meeting, Lee said he has told the police to look into whether any CRIME has been committed.
    “If someone hasn’t even registered but asked to cancel the registration, I think it’s DUBIOUS and SUSPICIOUS. I strongly CONDEMN such attempts to detract from the value of this organ donation initiative. We should all condemn such an attempt because this is a DISGRACE,” he said. ] All-caps words in the quote mine.
    jimbo_jones and Cash Trader like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:

You say "this trend of withdrawing from the register is likely to hurt HK people most of all". You realize it is a DONOR register, not a recipient register?

You say "this trend of withdrawing from the register is likely to hurt HK people most of all". You realize it is a DONOR register, not a recipient register?
    Yes of course I understand that. But withdrawing from the donor register means fewer organs available and fewer lives saved.
    SirNotAppearing likes this.

RTHK news today: [ Ahead of this week's Executive Council meeting, Lee said he has told the police to look into whether any CRIME has been committed.
    “If someone hasn’t even registered but asked to cancel the registration, I think it’s DUBIOUS and SUSPICIOUS. I strongly CONDEMN such attempts to detract from the value of this organ donation initiative. We should all condemn such an attempt because this is a DISGRACE,” he said. ] All-caps words in the quote mine.
    As I read it the suggestion is not that withdrawing from the register is a crime, but he's probably referring to the suggestion that some people have been going on social media and encouraging people to withdraw from the register. Pretty disgusting behaviour.

Does it matter whose lives are saved? Or is your issue with Lee's tone and comments? Withdrawing from the register because of his stupidity seems unfair to the people you could have saved.

Declaration: I no longer have a donor card, don't think my organs would be of any use to anyone.

Come on China haters, this one doesn't even make any sense.

There is no chance your organs are going to get shipped north of the border because the mainland already has such an advanced and dynamic prisoner-execution-and-organ-harvest-for-export programme right?

Ellenna and SirNotAppearing like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Does it matter whose lives are saved? Or is your issue with Lee's tone and comments? Withdrawing from the register because of his stupidity seems unfair to the people you could have saved.

Declaration: I no longer have a donor card, don't think my organs would be of any use to anyone.
    My issue is with Lee's - as well as his cronies - tone and suggestions that EVERYTHING is suspect of being a crime and police needs to investigate.
    shri, Sith, hullexile and 7 others like this.

My issue is with Lee's - as well as his cronies - tone and suggestions that EVERYTHING is suspect of being a crime and police needs to investigate.
    Not just a crime. These sort of things hurt the national security of our country. Just donate your organs and be done with it.

Ours is not to reason why...

https://apnews.com/article/hong-kong...0078b07542b60b
    Last edited by shri; 23-05-2023 at 07:46 PM.
    Sith, hullexile, aw451 and 2 others like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast