Australian Graphic Designer looking for a job..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Australian Graphic Designer looking for a job..

Hello,

My names is Ryan, I am a 25 year old male and have just moved here from Melbourne, Australia. I am currently looking for work as a Graphic Designer. I need to be sponsored to work in Hong Kong as I came to Hong Kong with my girlfriend after she was transferred with her employer.

If anyone knows of any work or could give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated.

I have 4 years experience in the Graphic Design industry and am highly skilled in design programs.

Thanks you

Do you have any education in that field?
    It's not easy getting a work visa these days, and in graphic design it's even harder unless you know how to read,write Chinese.

Do you have any portfolio online that i can pass around maybe someone might be interested.

And as a tip and general rule, don't use software skills as your selling point.
    Anyone can learn software.
    If you say you have a great eye for colors, or composition, grid systems etc. then you have a better chance.

/Johan

Ditto what Johan said. There are alot of graphic designers in HK, some excellent, most terrible. If you have a portfolio, also feel free to msg me with the link so i can pass it to some ppl.

Alternatively, open up on elance and be a freelancer while you look for work.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesii:
    Alternatively, open up on elance and be a freelancer while you look for work.
    That would be illegal though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    That would be illegal though.
    Jimbo lol. No its not illegal.

The method of payment of eLance means you can receive payments to a Paypal account as an individual (similar to receiving money for an item you sell on eBay). As an Aussie, get the money deposited into your pay pal account back in Aust.

Also if you come as a dependant then no issues either - once you are a "dependant" - go for it. Laws allow you to work immediately after becoming a dependant in HK.

Done.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesii:
    Jimbo lol. No its not illegal.

The method of payment of eLance means you can receive payments to a Paypal account as an individual (similar to receiving money for an item you sell on eBay). As an Aussie, get the money deposited into your pay pal account back in Aust.

Also if you come as a dependant then no issues either - once you are a "dependant" - go for it. Laws allow you to work immediately after becoming a dependant in HK.

Done.
    James lol - it is illegal.

It doesn't really matter where you are getting paid, but if you are living and working in HK without a legal visa or permit granting residency and the right to work you are breaking the law. The issue of a dependent visa doesn't come into it, since the OP mentioned his girlfriend, and dependent visas only apply to married couples.

Not done.

There is no denying that is is illegal but realistically the chances of getting caught is pretty slim don't you think ?

The biggest problem of working illegally is the whole 'visa run' issue, you never know when they might stamp the 'SCL' in your passport with just the 2 weeks to leave and personally I wouldn't like to live like that but I'm a wussy aha! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ryantc07:
    If anyone knows of any work or could give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated.
    Get married, or live in fear of jail, a big fine, deportation, and a criminal record.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    James lol - it is illegal.

It doesn't really matter where you are getting paid, but if you are living and working in HK without a legal visa or permit granting residency and the right to work you are breaking the law. The issue of a dependent visa doesn't come into it, since the OP mentioned his girlfriend, and dependent visas only apply to married couples.

Not done.
    Actually its legal. I'll explain why.

If the income comes to your Australian account, you will be charged tax as an Australian citizen. Same applies if you work for a company in HK for a month's work, but your salary is paid to your Australian account.

If the money doesn't touch HK, then the money wasn't earned or made in HK. If the clients are not from HK (and 98% are not from HK) then no need to inform the authorities.

The key is "working" in HK. Since the work you are doing is for client's outside HK, you are not "working" in HK.

If you are being paid a HK wage then yes you are breaking the law.

But if your logic was correct, then HK could arrest every single consultant, employee who comes to HK even for 1 day from their home country - even if it was for 1 meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    There is no denying that is is illegal but realistically the chances of getting caught is pretty slim don't you think ?

The biggest problem of working illegally is the whole 'visa run' issue, you never know when they might stamp the 'SCL' in your passport with just the 2 weeks to leave and personally I wouldn't like to live like that but I'm a wussy aha! :P
    I would like to know if ANY has been in that situation at all. In HK chances are pretty slim I agree. In truth the HK govt doesn't know what you earn if you get cash, nor what anyone is actually doing in this city. It's the most carefree govt for that stuff in the world. Unlike Aust govt, they know how much you are making before you get your first paycheck....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast