Things you miss the most from the US?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Lowlight: Perhaps, but they don't carry Crystal, the best of the best!

Haha touche! Very true. He is also a New Yorker so "smalltown" papers (Daily News, Post), are available online. Perhaps a nice dozen bagels, container of lox...if only they would keep!

Thanks all for the fantastic replies! I figured food is most coveted. I am thinking I will try to bring a bag of bagels, as one item; perhaps if I take them out of the freezer right before the flight, they can survive for, say 20 hours? I will probably also bring some other good non-perishables, and I'll try to think of something extra New York-esque. Thanks again!

POUTINE... is canadian... french canadian at that.... AND terribly missed...

oh, i'm getting homesick now!

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby:
    Thanks all for the fantastic replies! I figured food is most coveted. I am thinking I will try to bring a bag of bagels, as one item; perhaps if I take them out of the freezer right before the flight, they can survive for, say 20 hours? I will probably also bring some other good non-perishables, and I'll try to think of something extra New York-esque. Thanks again!
    Bagels keep for days without refrigeration. I buy 'em fresh right before I get on the flight and Saran wrap 'em up. They'll be fine. How 'bout some Dutch Masters? :P

Quote Originally Posted by nineofive:
    Jamaican Beef Patties !!!!!
    And Taco Bell, Ice cream, Poutine and Quaker rice cakes!!!
    My brother brought me Jamaican beef patties last summer and they were pretty rank by the time they got here. I made some from scratch about a month ago and man, was it hard work!

Quaker rice cakes!!!
    You can get those in Wellcome.

Mexican chorizo (and, well, Mexican food in general)
    Shiner Bock
    Blue Bell ice cream
    chicken-fried steak
    Green chile (yes, you can sometimes find the canned stuff here, but it's not the same as the fresh-roasted)
    Girl Scout cookies. Specifically: Thin Mints and Samoas.

Also, and I know this is weird, General Tso's chicken. Don't get me wrong: I love, love, love the local Chinese food, but every once in a while, I want General Tso's. With steamed broccoli on the side.

Last edited by grammargirl; 18-07-2009 at 12:22 AM.

cinnamon rolls and really nice vietnamese noodles soup.............

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    My brother brought me Jamaican beef patties last summer and they were pretty rank by the time they got here. I made some from scratch about a month ago and man, was it hard work!
    Must have been hard finding all the ingredients..

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast