Swine Flu

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Swine Flu

Hey
    Im moving to Hong Kong next week to teach in an international school, but it has now been closed by the HK government because of the swine flu outbreaks, as Im not in the country Im not sure how bad it really is? has anyone heard about the spread in schools?
    Thanks

There are a few threads out there where you can see the varied opinion on this topic.
    I think HK has started to relax on this. The employees at our apartment complex gave up the masks late last week. I was in HKIA on Monday and there were no masks to be seen. However, the classes for young kids at our complex and our indoor playground have not reopened.
    PS. It is no longer spreading in schools because they are all closed.

Last edited by Sleuth; 08-07-2009 at 07:10 AM. Reason: added school part

It's a mild flu, it's spreading throughout the population generally - the HK govt and the Chinese totally over reacted. That's the end of it.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Hong Kong has not been heavily hit by swine flu. Now, if you were moving to the US, the UK or Australia, I could understand your concern.

Thanks everyone, its so hard to know as Im not there yet!

Huge over reaction. In the UK parents are sending their kits to "swine flu parties" so that they get it over summer and don't miss any school in the flu season later in the year .... (I believe the UK Government is trying to discourage this practise) but it does rather highlight the difference in attitudes!

Read my other response on the other thread. And grow up and stop blubbering like a frightened child.
    How do you know I haven't been exposed to the virus, infected - and how do you know I haven't got over it like most people have?

People die from flu viruses every year - usually the elderly and / or people with underlying medical complaints.

Stop being a big wuss. Get over it.

Last edited by Load Toad; 22-07-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Man Flu is worse than Swine Flu!

Y' damn right about that!

I'm still sticking to my previous line - too early to tell. Deaths are way below the average daily level for seasonal flu (about 1000 per day worldwide) but still increasing (over 70 in the last 24 hours). What we don't know is how many are not being recorded particularly in developing countries. Even in the USA they multiply the reported number of seasonal flu deaths by 20 to get the official estimate.

However, the major impact will be on businesses with increased absenteeism and on the health services which are already struggling in the UK because of increased demand.

PDLM shoved up a graph a while ago showing pediatric deaths due to flu in the USA to highlight how little impact swine flu was having. The graph looks very different now.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast