sandwich places in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cathy789:
    hi,
    does anyone know of a good sandwich place (not subway)? Something like O'brien's back in the Uk where they can make up a fresh sandwich and a nice bowl of soup? And a lovely tasty baileys mint cheesecake? yum.

Have tried the Metro Cafe in Pacific Place and it's alright. Not quite what i'm looking for.
    Delifrance is an overpriced rip-off. They should pay you for just for having to sit next to those snobs who patronize such places. I personally like the sandwiches they sell at the bakeries for 10 HKD. But then, I am willing to live like the people of HK, not whine desperately for the same things I had back home.

Quote Originally Posted by ig.consulting:
    I am willing to live like the people of HK, not whine desperately for the same things I had back home.
    Trying to find what you like (locally) does not equate to whining. Its whining if you can't find and then blame the city for it.

snobs eat at delifrance??? really??? i've never noticed. they are definitely NOT the best sandwiches in the world, but i've always found it to be a fast (not greasy) lunch.

oliver's does "make in front of you " sandwiches, at least they used to, and also baked potatoes.

nobody mentioned Archie Bs near the escalator so ill add that to the list. Its the only semi decent new york deli I can find. The Reuben is not bad, the rye bread is pretty fresh.

Archie B's was good.. years ago, then they sold it and it became so dirty in there that I didn't go back

Marketplace by Jason's do probably the best sandwiches I've had in HK, and relatively reasonably priced at around 26-30$. All fresh, made on the premises and pretty tasty. Sometimes the combinations of fillings leaves a little to be desired, but generally can find several that sound really appetising!

Quote Originally Posted by ig.consulting:
    Delifrance is an overpriced rip-off. They should pay you for just for having to sit next to those snobs who patronize such places. I personally like the sandwiches they sell at the bakeries for 10 HKD. But then, I am willing to live like the people of HK, not whine desperately for the same things I had back home.
    You are a right twit then. Have you not noticed yet how CHEAP delifrance is, how NON french it is and how FULL OF LOCALS it is? Delifrance is not expat orientated.

Deli-france is definitely not expat orientated. Compared the the Deli-france back home it is completely different! Back home it does think of itself as an up-market cafe, but definitely not here!

Not sure if Grove is a part of the list yet...amazingly priced decent sandiwches. You get 2 triangles freshly-made set for just $20 and add $10 for a fresh juice!! They have salads, Paninis and a few other things as well. I love it! I think it's a usual amongst expats.

There's one in Wan Chai and one in Sheung Wan.

Grove Company Limited

If you want a good Reuben sandwich, Dan Ryan's (Pacific Place, Festival Walk, Ocean Center) is pretty tasty. Their cheesesteak and club sandwiches are also more authentic than other places I've been to in HK. Another good place for sandwiches is Duke's Deli on Des Voeux Road Central (near the main Hang Seng bank branch). They seem to have added a lot of new sandwiches recently and I've always been happy with the sandwiches there. They also have cheesecake and lots of other yummy things to eat.

For some strange reason though, I can never find any place that sells corned beef and pastrami together on on a sandwich. Usually they only sell pastrami sandwiches.

Last edited by smallcheese; 04-11-2009 at 08:41 PM.