Indonesian Helpers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Indonesian Helpers

There was a thread a while ago in which somebody claimed that the Indonesian helpers tended to come from the more affluent part of their society. Can't find it now.

Anyway from today's SCMP:

"Most Indonesian domestic workers are from farming families. They are not well educated. Their will to make money and sacrifice is much stronger, as nearly all of them are from the BOTTOM 10 PER CENT [economically] of the Indonesian population."

Disturbing read as nearly a third are paid below the minimum wage, 60% had their documents seized by their employers or agencies. The maximum amount the agencies are allowed to charge the helpers is HK$318 but 73% were charged between HK$20,000 and HK$24,999.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Disturbing indeed, but not surprising, Hull. I've read articles and come across situations where amongst all the available domestic help in HK, the Indonesians and Sri Lankans tend to be routinely underpaid by their employers. I remember one incident where a local family revealed their preference to hire Indonesian help because they could get away with paying them less than their Filipino counterparts. I also recall on some past threads here, there were discussions on the complicity of the Indonesian consulate and the collusion between them and these 'agents'...

Sad, really. Shouldn't there be any legal redress available for affected workers? (Not that the situation is any better for all domestic help in HK...)

The agency charging could be easily and quickly stamped out if there was a mind to do it. Just raid a few agencies and close them down if there is evidence they are overcharging or withholding documents. Obviously the collusion is not just between the agencies and the consulate but also the HK authorities (Immigration and police). Cracking down on drug users in Lamma - no problem, cracking down in this area?

cracking down in this area?
    But lah! These ones so crazy, steal and cast black magic spells - can not be trusted!

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    But lah! These ones so crazy, steal and cast black magic spells - can not be trusted!
    Shame those spells don't work isn't it? Would solve the problem very quickly with employers and agents suddenly turning into toads - oh sorry didn't mean to insult you there!

No worries - the alias is purely random - to hide my usual nickname 'mumph' of course.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    There was a thread a while ago in which somebody claimed that the Indonesian helpers tended to come from the more affluent part of their society.
    Maybe the OP of that thread got Indonesian and Filipinos mixed up. I read that article too and I'm sure it said that more of the Filipinos have degrees and come from middle class backgrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu79:
    Maybe the OP of that thread got Indonesian and Filipinos mixed up. I read that article too and I'm sure it said that more of the Filipinos have degrees and come from middle class backgrounds.
    Yes true it did, but the poster claimed to have lived and worked among the poor farmers in Indonesia.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yes true it did, but the poster claimed to have lived and worked among the poor farmers in Indonesia.
    OK maybe he/she mis-spoke. Or am I just being far too generous here...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Max:
    I remember one incident where a local family revealed their preference to hire Indonesian help because they could get away with paying them less than their Filipino counterparts.
    One former colleague, of doubtful parentage, was quite proud that he had gotten an Indonesia helper for "only" $2,000 pm. He said he had found her through a network of local-only employers who were doing the same thing.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast