Like Tree10Likes

Hong Kong Vets

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

sorry, yes... hkbecky... she also posted on another forum, so i mixed up the two threads.

it's a funny ol' business, this one. I have heard pet owners complain when a vet doesn't give enough injections, I have heard them complain when they give too many. in HK, if your pet doesn't get an injection, than it is perceived it wasn't treated properly. you may not agree, but that is the expectations in HK.

The thing is, vets need to address not only a sick, injured or stressed animal, but they need to address the emotions, AND expectations of the client, and the expectations of the business and society. this generally means that the treatment will be at odds with one, the other, or multiple aspects.

we all want the best for our pet. but we don't want a $10k bill. Well, in that case we can't always have the best. lets go for the most economical. ok, but that means we make assumptions, or have to do without somethings. ok. but waht if the assumptions are wrong. stupid vet? no (well, possibly, but THAT is an assumption!). dealing with assumptions means a degree of expected error, dealiing with "the odds". add to that the fact you are dealing with biology, you have a deal of room for unexpected outcomes.

in their vet, one needs to find a person who gives the service they expect, the bedside manner they expect, and the location they expect. sounds a little like it would be as easy as searching for the holy grail!

vets are a supplying a service. they supply to market demand yet they must also treat their patients. they must work within strict budgets, yet perform well enough to justify their working permit. then they must be emotionally supportive, yet hide their own emotions and not allow their own emotons to affect or influence the interactions with the client.

often the needs of one thing is at odds with the other. who decides whice route/treatment you take? at the end of the day, the client does. though this can be swayed by the vet or nurse, at the end of the day any service provider can only provide the services you request and pay for. nothing more, nothing less.

however, if one beleives the services were not provided as requested, then like all other services, one must approach those responsible for some justification. if this gets nowhere, then, as with other services, there's a regulatory body that can investigate things for you.

this is not aimed at hkbecky, BTW. in your case, i'd recommend speaking to Dr Dave at MongKok, and get him to sort it out for ya. PC is one business run under several clinics. however, they're all answerable to the same top dogs. stamp your feet if you have something you want heard nd no one is listening. but try a ripple before u make a wave

Quote Originally Posted by LeChatNoir:

However, eventually I found Peace Avenue Veterinary Clinic... and the vet I met there was very good.
    glad you have found a vet that meets your expectations. I have heard many mixed reports regarding this place, from pet owners and those in the industry, so I guess it's up to personal experience...

FYI, we used to go to Dr. Eric in Happy Valley, but started getting suspicious of his diagnoses and treatments (they seemed expensive and sometimes unnecessary). I also heard similar stories from others.

So now, even though it's inconvenient, we go to the SPCA in Wanchai. Dr. Laurie (sp?) performed a minor surgery on one of our dogs and also cut our expected bill in half. He said a lot of the stuff that was on the bill would be unnecessary (tests, etc.). I would obviously highly recommend him.

[QUOTE=Submariner;486825]FYI, we used to go to Dr. Eric in Happy Valley, but started getting suspicious of his diagnoses and treatments (they seemed expensive and sometimes unnecessary). I also heard similar stories from others<<

Do you know the name of this practice?

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner:
    FYI, we used to go to Dr. Eric in Happy Valley, but started getting suspicious of his diagnoses and treatments (they seemed expensive and sometimes unnecessary). I also heard similar stories from others.

So now, even though it's inconvenient, we go to the SPCA in Wanchai. Dr. Laurie (sp?) performed a minor surgery on one of our dogs and also cut our expected bill in half. He said a lot of the stuff that was on the bill would be unnecessary (tests, etc.). I would obviously highly recommend him.
    we used to used dr eric too. there were a lot things we didnt like about him. we are now across the road at lloyd kenda. he's great.

dr eric's practice name is dr eric on yik yam st in happy valley.

hkbecky I saw you posted this on another forum too. Animals and vets are expensive.

Maybe the vets assistants or whoever was serving you needed to move to the next persons animal that was sick, or answer the phone, or sell something, and just needed you to pay the respects, pay the bill and move on.

I am just looking at it from a realist point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by spooky:
    may be not straight away, but I'd write to the clinic and let them know. From what others have posted, Pet Central sounds professional and have nice Drs. If one of their staff isn't up to par they'd certainly appreciate the feedback. It may be an isolated one-off incident, may be they're having a bad day, but what the nurse said was out of line.
    In fact, I had a long converstaion with Dr. Susan who was based in the North Point branch since the same day my cat Lucky died, I had 2 other cats who needed a teeth cleaning. Although she did listen to me for about 30mins, in the end - nothing came out of it.

I actually have read to the contrary with regard to Pets Central. I've heard some glowing reviews of the Sai Kung branch, but have read a few horror stories about the Mongkok branch.

I don't think it was a 'bad day' per se, but bad service and bad attitude overall.

Quote Originally Posted by pandabearest:
    hkbecky I saw you posted this on another forum too. Animals and vets are expensive.

Maybe the vets assistants or whoever was serving you needed to move to the next persons animal that was sick, or answer the phone, or sell something, and just needed you to pay the respects, pay the bill and move on.

I am just looking at it from a realist point of view.
    That's fine, I'm a realistic person as well. I have 6 cats and have lived here for 15 years. I know how expensive vets are. I would have just appreciated a little bit of sensitivity. That's not to much to ask from someone who's spent over 13K in one day is it?

Also, when dealing with animals, death and emotions, it wouldn't kill them to at least 'seem' a bit more patient. We're all busy and understand time is money, but I really don't think I'm asking for too much.

Even a shop or boutique would have treated me with more respect. If they did think of it as a business, and I'm an owner of 6 cats - they should look at potential and future business as well. Obviously, they did not.

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    i am sorry to hear about your loss. It is a shame you also felt you had no support for your grief. Vet bills can be a little confusing, and even such things as cremations are outsourced, so they must be charged as well. It all sounds a little heartless, but as you say, they are a business. It is always hard to have to confront people over finances etc when you are upset, and i do feel for you.

I am suprised at the treatment you mention here. I have not personally dealt with PC at MongKok, however I do know a few people who work there, and have worked there. They do have some of the best vets in HK there, however there are obviously other alternatives for you now too.

Condolences again,

DDF
    Over the past 15 years I've been to many vets in HK. Here are a brief rundown of what I think of some I've been to. I'm trying to be honest and helpful here and I'm sure many of you may have had different experiences but if this can help anyone out there looking for a vet, my objective has been achieved.

Valley Vet Centre - Dr. Lloyd Kenda was great. Very helpful and patient. But HV is a bit out of the way for me and parking is inconvenient. Charges are relatively average as compared to all vets across the board.

Peace Avenue Vet Centre - Dr. Allistair saved my elderly cat Potato from a life-threatening Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. For that I will be forever grateful. But - their overnight 24 hours service is not equipped to deal with emergencies and it takes a long time to get an appointment and I always have to wait. More expensive of the whole lot.

Tin Hau Pet Hospital - Provides homeopathic and alternative pet therapy. It's different but I like it because it's different. But it's quite expensive and the clinic is very small so be prepared to wait a long time.

Central Pet Hospital - the one in Tin Hau - I really didn't like the attitude and service provided by the staff. They were quite rude and thus turned me off from ever going back again.

Dr Eric's Clinic - Sai Kung - I only went there once but thought it was quite good. It's a bit out of the way and parking is a bit inconvenient but otherwise I had a good experience there.

Pets Central - North Point - Dr. Susan was patient and I think did a pretty good job with my 2 cats. But the accounts system was a bit of a pain since all their branches are interconnected. So it's not the best place for multiple pet owners.

Pets Central - Mong Kok - Please see my other thread for more info. I will never go back unless I want bad service and another dead pet.

I have heard many good things about the SPCA and I think I may try them next time. If anyone has anything to add to this list, please feel free to respond.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast