hang seng refuse me to open an account.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

hang seng refuse me to open an account.

20th November, 2009 at 13:30, I came to Yuen Long Branch to open account for saving, and in ground floor i was informed about all possibility and was sent to first floor to open an account.
    The first issues when i feel embarrass when they saw my passport with a lot of stamps and visas, the guy was show to all colleges and they was something laughing about. Well, I hold Ukraine passport and have proof of address in hong kong and I stay legally in hong kong what else do i need to open account receive/send money, i was thinking nothing, then manager came, and said what they cannot open me account, they cannot explain reason, just bank policy. they was asking what propose i need bank account and i told them for saving, i have some amount in hands and do not want to keep them in cash, well, i never had this embarrass experience with any bank before, i have many bank accounts in USA, Switzerland and EU, i have whole wallet of platinum and gold visa cards.
    I do not want to open or do any deal with this bank again, i just want to point how "good team" you have. They said the only one reason to open account i should have contract with my employee, but i came to hong kong not for work, i dont have any employee and have no any salary.
    This is only one bank i visited today, but will go another for sure

you need to show them the cash.. take it over there in a holdall

i'm guessing they are afraid of money-laundering?

Why did you go to Yuen Long for to open an account?

Go to HSBC or BOC in central somewhere and deal with them, They're more likely to give you better service than they branch in Yuen Long.

dude, why in yuen long.
    put a suit on and head down to any branch in central and open an account with $100k but you do need 'valid' proof of address.

what are you using for proof of address?

I'm guessing it has something to do with concerns over money laundering. Can you explain to them why you are in Hong Kong and why you want to open an account here? Can you explain to them why you have money in accounts all over the world? Having lots of stamps in your passport is not that odd, I am sure I am not the only one here who has to renew their passport just because it gets full. Were there any stamps for 'dodgy' places?

well, the reason if i have money in hands by cash and want put them to account, what else reason i should give them, i had utility bill as proof of address, valid.
    is someone happy with hang seng bank? i better will go to hsbc

Quote Originally Posted by Slavic:
    20th November, 2009 at 13:30, I came to Yuen Long Branch to open account for saving, and in ground floor i was informed about all possibility and was sent to first floor to open an account.
    The first issues when i feel embarrass when they saw my passport with a lot of stamps and visas, the guy was show to all colleges and they was something laughing about. Well, I hold Ukraine passport and have proof of address in hong kong and I stay legally in hong kong what else do i need to open account receive/send money, i was thinking nothing, then manager came, and said what they cannot open me account, they cannot explain reason, just bank policy. they was asking what propose i need bank account and i told them for saving, i have some amount in hands and do not want to keep them in cash, well, i never had this embarrass experience with any bank before, i have many bank accounts in USA, Switzerland and EU, i have whole wallet of platinum and gold visa cards.
    I do not want to open or do any deal with this bank again, i just want to point how "good team" you have. They said the only one reason to open account i should have contract with my employee, but i came to hong kong not for work, i dont have any employee and have no any salary.
    This is only one bank i visited today, but will go another for sure
    Do you have a right to land/abode in Hong Kong, or when you say you're here "legally" you mean on a tourist visa? Or are you here on a dependent visa?

If you have no permanent HKID card and no employee sponsorship here, then the bank would naturally question your "source" of income. The international anti-money laundering and anti-terrorism financing policies give banks the right to refuse business they don't feel confident about.

I have accounts in both Hang Seng and HSBC and can't really complain....

Quote Originally Posted by Slavic:
    well, the reason if i have money in hands by cash and want put them to account, what else reason i should give them, i had utility bill as proof of address, valid.
    is someone happy with hang seng bank? i better will go to hsbc
    HSBC own Hang Seng though.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    HSBC own Hang Seng though.
    LOL, yep forgot to mention that...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast