iPhone users are delusional, consultants say

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I'm confused.... the iPhone transformed the mobile market, yet you declare it as a piece if shit. what phone do you consider godly and why?

people who hate iPhone usually say droid is better, yet droid users complain just as loudly over their problems...

so I always find it funny when people take such a strong stance against something.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by BenderBends; 23-12-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Bender,

To evaluate the phone you have to consider 3 areas: The physical device, the OS, the human hard/soft interface.

The OS:
    - CPU efficiency
    - Memory efficiency/management
    - Choice of 3rd party software
    - Can you modify it, upgrade it
    - Is it complete. (eg. Can you cut and paste)
    - Big fixes: Are they bother fixing stuff or will you have to yet again upgrade to another phone to escape from the bugs.
    - On going support from the vendor (make sure they dont' cut off your legs) related to can you modify the OS.

In terms of OS and patches and features I am sick and tired of these big vendors, Nokia/MS/Apple/Google thinking they can get it right. No one has. Either things are unstable, a mess or you their slave, jail break the phone or what ever.

So whilst I probably I am not going to like the N900 as physical device it is the first serious choice we have at being able to tell the mobile phone makers to shove their software or have the flexibility to change part of the OS/UI, features, Human interface, phone or switch to another OS all together.

The UI human hard/soft interface
    - Human interface eg the T9 input system
    - UI, is it responsive,
    - fast to do things with.
    - How well do physical functions tie into access or use of soft functions.
    - Battery duration

Despite it shortcomings of Nokia's OS, it has nailed some basic human interfaces which are not available on newer smart phones. Eg: I hold down a button and dial my g/f and just have to shove the phone on my ear without looking at the screen., I can be holding the phone down and type sms without looking at the screen as the T9 input is great. These things save you time. Look at the million man hours that are being wasted world wide by people "trying" to make a phone on their iPhone. It is just silly.

The hardware device
    - How many functions it providers,
    - weight,
    - impact strength.
    - Does it actually effectively work well as a phone, can you dial.
    - cpu/memory
    - battery duration

For me a phone has to start with great hardware, ie it has to be able to talk to anything and be able give you a good choice of being able to interface with the phone.

The SE P990 UIQ3 is as stable as Windows98 was, if you want to have stability and high up times you have to know what the phone is doing and when it is going to commit harakiri and stop it. Still no other phone has: 2 keyboards qwerty and a T9 keypad, sizeable touch screen, removable memory cards, 2 cameras, flash/torch.roller wheel, wifi, infrared, blue tooth, FM radio and An a nice LED that blinks and tell you when you have missed a call or actually have to pick it up or do something with it. There is a tonne of accessories from Sony (one thing they do get right), like blue tooth speakers.

If you evaluate the iPhone based on the above:

- It has a touch screen a camera and 1 button. Though it looks slick.
    - A pretty UI
    - A mediocre human interface that is very good at certain things for others it is shit. (same goes for the physical interface).
    - It is a poor phone to call and sms with, something that most iPhone owners will admit.
    - A closed locked OS and tied to iTunes.
    - A big software shop, (only geeks like me should give a crap about this).

For the masses Apple is the right choice, for me it is poor physical device, less open than Symbian and also puts you in a social group that I just don't want to see myself part off.

Evaluating your phone.

Many of us maybe looking at our phones and try to tell ourselves we have made the right decision owning this small box, the reality is that we haven't, most phones have different degrees of compromising. Most phones are a compromise, and with the iPhone you compromise in many areas.

Next week I am getting an N900 which is clearly compromised physically but the OS and the UI I am going to get to decide how good or bad it is, for the first time. I am sure later nokia will bring out better phones which are phone.

The N900 is just a new compromise. I am going miss T9 and my roller wheel.

Last edited by hk.com; 26-12-2009 at 06:39 PM.

To add, (just in case it was not long enough) I think any vendor that does not want to fall under the Apple and Google bulldozers they should consider opening up all the specs, low level api's of their older phones and open source their older versions of their OSs. FOSS developers would clean up improve UI's and features and carry on where the manufacturer has given up or failed,

Quote Originally Posted by hk.com:
    If you evaluate the iPhone based on the above:

- It has a touch screen a camera and 1 button. Though it looks slick.
    "Though it looks slick"? The whole point of the phone is having as few buttons as possible. In any case it's subjective if you want a numeric keypad [with T9], a full keyboard or a virtual one. I like the iPhone for its big display and the lack of a keys. It's a preference, not a defense.

(BTW: There is also a volume control button and a switch for silent mode)

- A pretty UI
    A slick and intuitive UI that has set new standards, which others are trying hard to copy.

- A mediocre human interface that is very good at certain things for others it is shit. (same goes for the physical interface).
    Like any other phone ...

- It is a poor phone to call and sms with, something that most iPhone owners will admit.
    The only issue I have with the phone is the volume in a noisy environment when not using an ear piece, else it seems fine to me (I have the 2G).
    No probs with typing SMS, the auto-correction works very well IMHO, but then I am not trying to set any records here.

- A closed locked OS and tied to iTunes.
    Fair enough though as you know there is a way around some of the restrictions; even you don't jailbreak there is no denying that the App Store is extremely successful, too, with many free applications readily available.

- A big software shop, (only geeks like me should give a crap about this).
    Is this like the "I hate Microsoft" thing?

For the masses Apple is the right choice, for me it is poor physical device, less open than Symbian and also puts you in a social group that I just don't want to see myself part off.
    What "social group" would that be? Do you mean the users or the programming community?

We are both mac users and I have an ipod touch and hubby has an iphone ... but I won't get an iphone. I love my touch - it's great for the apps, so tiny and love the wifi for internet etc while travelling .. but as a phone or even an email device, I find the iphone lacking. Hubby never hears it ringing and i can barely hear him when he speaks on it; frankly - a phone should, at minimum, make PHONE CALLs! I currently have an SE p1i, but that's not much better at the phone calls (volume never loud enough), so in the new year I am going to search out a phone that makes phone calls and NOTHING ELSE. Just a good phone! (with a speakerphone and maybe bluetooth for my headset, but that's not essential). Ideally should also be really small so I can carry it anywhere. Any suggestions?

Motorola W156 - cost about 300 bucks local. Basic, well made and solid.

Motorola Motorola W156/W160

Seeing all thinks written here seems Geeks have lost sight of what a phone is meant to do. Open the box, charge, work --- endex. What normal person has even the slightest interest in the rest.

I wish people would not hide behind the anonymity of red blobbing someone if they think a post is, quote, 'uninformed' and instead post a reply and explain why they think it is. Coward.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    I hear a lot who don't like iTunes.... but what don't you like about it? what do you prefer and why? I'm just curious. I dont use iTunes for anything other then syncing with iPhone...on my mac/pc I use websites for music streaming like last.fm and 61.com
    Posted via Mobile Device
    How about these reasons: it freezes all the time, it is very frustrating to use, the default options are stupid, you have to hunt to change them and each time you install updates everything reverts to default, it's your only option as a ipod owner so you have no choice but to use the unstable piece of s**t.

iTunes is the main reason I have never bought a Mac. I have had more problems and frustration with iTunes and Quicktime than I can count.

Pure rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    Motorola W156 - cost about 300 bucks local. Basic, well made and solid.

Motorola Motorola W156/W160

Seeing all thinks written here seems Geeks have lost sight of what a phone is meant to do. Open the box, charge, work --- endex. What normal person has even the slightest interest in the rest.
    Thanks boris - will look out for it when I go shopping. Depending on how big it is, seems about right.