Lazy banks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lazy banks

be careful at the ATM people....

i discovered the person in front of me left some money in the ATM, so i took it, did my transaction, and then went inside to the bank.

the bank manager said.... (and i quote) ... "So?"
    i explained the story again thinking she did not understand.... and she said "Oh, OK. Wow".

With my now puzzled look, I said, "Are you going to take the money and find out who accessed the ATM before me, so that you can properly credit the account?"

she replied... "No. its not the banks responsibility. either keep it yourself or bring it to the police".

so i did, and the police said kudos, and they will now hold it to see if anyone claims the money. if not...i dont know what happens to it.

but basically, some poor sap is now out several $K just because the frikin bank is too lazy to access the ATM record. How i hate HK banks with a passion.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

How many times a day would they have to do that?

>>"No. its not the banks responsibility. either keep it yourself or bring it to the police".

The bank manager is so wrong that she may break the law already by suggesting you to keep the money yourself. It is a criminal offense to take the money and keep it. Luckily you bring it to the police.

FYI, if no one claim them after a while (can't remember how long, maybe 6 months?) the money will then belongs to you.

not lazy, just typical hk attitude.

it probably is not in the bank manager's job description to deal with something like that. therefore she is not going to do anything about it. also she does not want the responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    How many times a day would they have to do that?
    when i was in the USA bank industry, we had to do it a few times a week. it didnt happen as much as you would think. As the ATM has a buzzer on it, or it will suck in if wait too long. only rarely did people bring it in through to the tellers.

and fyi...it took me about 2-3 mins to handle, so its not like it was a huge inconvenience.

deleted - just read your last post

Last edited by limepickle; 18-01-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dtb:
    >>"No. its not the banks responsibility. either keep it yourself or bring it to the police".

The bank manager is so wrong that she may break the law already by suggesting you to keep the money yourself. It is a criminal offense to take the money and keep it. Luckily you bring it to the police.

FYI, if no one claim them after a while (can't remember how long, maybe 6 months?) the money will then belongs to you.
    Agree!!!!

I would also notify someone high up in that bank and maybe they can remind this dumb &^^% what their responsibilities should be. It is technically counselling an offence in some countries but hard to get a charge on but the person did suggest calling the police who likely wont force the back to look at their tape.
    Last edited by Football16; 18-01-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    when i was in the USA bank industry, we had to do it a few times a week. it didnt happen as much as you would think. As the ATM has a buzzer on it, or it will suck in if wait too long. only rarely did people bring it in through to the tellers.

and fyi...it took me about 2-3 mins to handle, so its not like it was a huge inconvenience.
    On the topic of ATM sucking back the money, if left alone for too long. I remember my friends told me a trick where you withdraw more than 3 banknotes (eg 400HKD). Then instead of taking all the money, only take the middle notes and leave the top and bottom intact. After the time limit, the ATM will suck in the two leftover notes but thinks all the money was untouched when you actually have taken out 2x100HKD notes already.

Wonder if it still works

Quote Originally Posted by LJ_ian:
    On the topic of ATM sucking back the money, if left alone for too long. I remember my friends told me a trick where you withdraw more than 3 banknotes (eg 400HKD). Then instead of taking all the money, only take the middle notes and leave the top and bottom intact. After the time limit, the ATM will suck in the two leftover notes but thinks all the money was untouched when you actually have taken out 2x100HKD notes already.

Wonder if it still works
    sorry...i prefer to earn my money honestly, rather then steal it cheaply like a beggar

Do us a favor and name the bank / branch please?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast