Like Tree12Likes

Native Texan moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

1) American movies, how does that work? For new releases, the same as anywhere else in the world! You go to a cinema. (Did you think they only had cinema's in the USA?). For old stuff, buy DVD's.

2) What do English speaking teens do for fun? Drink and have sex. Just like everywhere else in the world.

3) What are the unlimited texting possibilities for HK to US? Try skype or MSN or yahoo it might be cheaper! Not seen unlimited oversea;s txt's - usually overseas txt's are pretty expensive.

4) Where is the most concentrated expat area for HKIS High school students so that she has greatest chance of meeting someone she goes to school with? Doesn't matter. HK is small enough that when she makes some friends she can go meet them on the fabulous, cheap, fast and safe public transport system.

5) What serviced apts are popular among HKIS high school families? All over the place.

6) What about medicines? Do I need to ship to HK or are they comparable there? Comparable. You may need to mail-order any really weird stuff.

7) Orthodontists...do they have them? How else do you think people get their teeth fixed in HK?

8) What about my cat...? What about your cat? If you want to bring it, just search the threads for bringing pets into HK. It's done. They survive.

9) Since my daughter will be in the "learning to drive" age group during our time in HK (4yrs), how does that work for teens? It doesn't. Normal people don't drive here, it's just for the rich and status conscious - NOT teenagers unless you decide to live in the sticks (which is pretty hard). Sure you can buy her lessons if you really want, but it might just be easier to wait until she gets back home.

10) What about long term storage, is that available in HK? Yes.

11) Is it better to hire/share a permanent driver or use taxis/mass transit? Public transport. Cheap, convenient, clean and safe. One of the best features of HK. You'd be a fool not to take advantage of it.

12) My daughter likes to perform...can she find places to audition for English speaking parts in musicals/plays, etc.? What are the English speaking entertainment options?

13) What about the 35 day tax rule? Anyone have suggestions about the best way to qualify as someone who can get this tax benefit?

14) Do we have to pay HK taxes if we are paid in US? Get proper advice for US tax. HK tax is simple, if you do the work in HK, you pay the tax in HK. Your employer is obliged to tell the tax office how much you earned for work in HK. If you don't work in HK, how can you get a visa????

15) What other things should I be prepared for as a teen parent before making this transition? Your kids screaming at you for losing all their friends? Humidity in summer. Horrendous pollution in winter. If your kids are fussy eaters you'd gonna have a great time - while you can get many US brands here, nothing like the choice you had in the USA.....

froggytlc likes this.

Get her a blackberry or smartphone with an unlimited dataplan, so she can use online msn and skype chat etc.

Also forget about driving lessons out here as she'll be taught to drive on the left side of the road and it'll be a total culture shock for when she does drive back in the u.s.

froggytlc likes this.

>> 5) What serviced apts are popular among HKIS high school families? All over the place.

No. There are a few like HK Parkview which are closer, than say the ones in Shatin.

>> Normal people don't drive here, it's just for the rich and status conscious

Again, there are plenty of people (me included) who prefer to drive the shorter distances rather than wait for the mini or cab. Public transportation is ok for longer distances. I can be in the office in 7 minutes by car.. mini bus would take 20-25 mins, assuming there is a seat available in the morning.

Remember.. for a lot that is said, there are a LOT of exceptions.

froggytlc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> 5)
    >> Normal people don't drive here, it's just for the rich and status conscious

Again, there are plenty of people (me included) who prefer to drive the shorter distances rather than wait for the mini or cab. Public transportation is ok for longer distances. I can be in the office in 7 minutes by car.. mini bus would take 20-25 mins, assuming there is a seat available in the morning.

Remember.. for a lot that is said, there are a LOT of exceptions.
    I agree there are always exceptions. But I also think that folks coming from the USA need it drummed into them to use the public transport, because it is really easy to not know just how great it is, get a car (because that's what you are used to, and public transport is shocking in the USA) and miss out on one of the greatest benefits of living in HK. So I will continue to tell people not to get a car!

We have never not had a car before living here ... at one point I think we had three (which is excessive for 2 people!) and I was very wary about not getting one when we arrived, especially since I live so far out of town. But it's one of the best decisions we made - but I have no doubt that if we HAD got a car, we'd use it, and miss out on the freedom and flexibility of the public transport system, especially given our love of hiking (oh joy! no need to return to the starting point) etc etc.

>> But I also think that folks coming from the USA need it drummed into them to use the public transport

Why? Whats wrong in people buying cars and not using them? Makes it better for those of us who want cars and can buy a perfect condition 4 year old car with 4000 kms on it?

1) American movies, how does that work?
    on of the things i LOVE about hk cinemas is that you buy your seat! no waiting in the long queue/line, then rushing for the "good seats". you can also check out seat availability online and purchase online as well.there ARE chinese subtitles on movies (and on many things on tv) but honestly, after a while you don't even notice them. there hae been occasions where i've had to ask my chinese hubby if there are subtitles on the thing we just watched because i honestly couldn't remember seeing them. dvds are plentiful and easily found.
    2) What do English speaking teens do for fun? as others have said, the same stuff they do at "home".
    3) What are the unlimited texting possibilities for HK to US? insanely expensive. online is the way to go, as others have said.
    4) Where is the most concentrated expat area for HKIS High school students so that she has greatest chance of meeting someone she goes to school with? expats are found everywhere in hk. but you would probably want to look around tai tam/repulse bay/stanley/parkview for other kids going to HKIS.
    5) What serviced apts are popular among HKIS high school families?i would venture to say that most people do NOT live in service flats. they are so much more expensive than renting a regular flat. but, parkview would probably be the one closest to HKIS (although, it is a VERY round-about way to drive to HKIS from Parkview.)
    6) What about medicines? Do I need to ship to HK or are they comparable there? things like ibuprofen are much more expensive here, so if you use it, then bring some with you. tylenol is called panadol here. cold medicines here suck big-time with a very limited selection.
    7) Orthodontists...do they have them? of course, people here have teeth, too!LOL!
    8) What about my cat...? lots of people bring pets from overseas. i would contact a pet relocation company ASAP in order to get all the paper work sorted out or your cat may have to wait awhile before she can come over.
    9) Since my daughter will be in the "learning to drive" age group during our time in HK (4yrs), how does that work for teens? i believe that the age for driving in hk is MUCH higher than in the states/canada. besides as others have said, hk is NOT a "driving" culture. getting your licence is NOT the "right of passage" that it is in north america. your child will not feel left out because none of the other kids will have a licence either.
    10) What about long term storage, is that available in HK? available, but i would NOT want to store stuff long-term? why bother? get rid of it or store it at "home".
    11) Is it better to hire/share a permanent driver or use taxis/mass transit? PUBLIC transport all the way! you cannot "share" a driver (if here from overseas). if you DO decide to drive, why not drive yourself? i lived here for 12 years before i got a car, and now that i live "out in the boonies" i drive everywhere. i miss the days of easy access to public transport!
    12) My daughter likes to perform...can she find places to audition for English speaking parts in musicals/plays, etc.? What are the English speaking entertainment options? there is also American Community Theatre company in town... although i haven't seen much info on them of late.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    >> But I also think that folks coming from the USA need it drummed into them to use the public transport

Why? Whats wrong in people buying cars and not using them? Makes it better for those of us who want cars and can buy a perfect condition 4 year old car with 4000 kms on it?
    Ha ha. Those ones don't bother me. It's the ones who DO use them and as such never even TRY the public transport system! (Don't laugh, I know people who have been here for a couple of years who have never once stepped onto a bus and can count on the fingers of one hand how many MTR trips they have made .... mind you, they don't have a car either, they just take taxi's everywhere!)

Just one addition to the daughter driving question keep in mind the minimum age to get a drivers license is 18. So if she is 13 now and you stay 4 years, she will not be old enough to get a license.

froggytlc and MovingIn07 like this.

We do have pretty decent values so that is good to know. I am also a pretty hands on mom, although I'm a teacher so I also know when to let her fly. Thanks for your help.

you may be in for a shock when you find out that "decent american values" are just that.... american.

MovingIn07 and HKChigger like this.