Like Tree5Likes

Combination washer/dryer

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    It's monthly for HK Electric. And every two months for CLP, I believe.
    Yes, I believe so too.

We run a washer/dryer, couple of air-cons (summer), tv, stereo, lights, rechargable vacuum, a couple of computers, my mega-strength hairdryer, etc. and we've never had an electricity bill anywhere near $1K a month with HK Electric.
    The size/# floors of the apartment/house and the air flow through it would also play a part in the size of the electrical bill. Plus other things like number of windows, the direction they face, etc....

I guess that also comes from using antiquated appliances from back when they were built to last.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    The size/# floors of the apartment/house and the air flow through it would also play a part in the size of the electrical bill. Plus other things like number of windows, the direction they face, etc....
    True, but even where we are now - a 950 sq ft 3-bed place, with a SSW facing balcony - we haven't had a bill over $1K. I don't know how some folks (you know who you are ... Bill) can run up elecky bills of $10K a month for a similar sized place. Unless cooling beer takes a lot of elecky...
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 05-03-2010 at 01:21 PM.

Excessive use of air conditioners would probably do it.

True, but even where we are now - a 950 sq ft 3-bed place, with a SSW facing balcony - we haven't had a bill over $1K. I don't know how some folks (you know who you are ... Bill) can run up elecky bills of $10K a month for a similar sized place.
    I don't think our bills are up to $1000 per month, either and our place is bigger than that. Maybe in the middle of the summer we might hit that level.
    But I have seen some, mostly houses, with multiple floors that must be expensive to heat/cool.

Even when I've been home all day all month through the height of summer with aircons, dehumidifiers, computers, washing machine, and so on, my HK Electric bill has never been over HK$1500/month ($1200 after the Government rebate) and mostly it's far less than that.

Granted, you have to really try to run up a big electrical bill because electricity is so cheap.
    But it is possible.

I can easily see it happening in a large house/apartment with several high-powered air conditioners running 24/7, in addition to other household appliances.

unfortunately the lowest bill I have seen on a slow month (no air con needed during cold days) is around $300, I use electric water heating + stove also instead of gas, at least one of my air conditioners is on average 12 hours a day, on a hot day when I need to keep at least one 3/4 on 12 hours when away from home and when I return home, turn on the category 2 (think that equates to 15000btu, have not checked), it is normal to see a 900-1000 bill, record being 1.3k

Running a Washer, no dryer, add your standard house hold appliance, microwave, LCD TV, HIFI, etc..

I do have a power edge server running 24/7 that is constantly sucking 120w of power just idle (according to APC) and another media center constantly sucking 42w idle (also according to APC)...

This is using HKE

would be nice to see a 250 bill on a month like APril to Sept.

edit: oh yea, the 1300 bill was last october I think, no 300 rebate, just fyi..

Last edited by justsomebody2; 05-03-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast