Like Tree17Likes

Do I bring my car or buy a new one?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    You do realise that in HK we drive on the same side as the road as the Brits, right? Hong Kong being an ex-British colony and all.
    Yes I realise that. But where does the OP say she is from Britain? If its in this thread, then I apologise for my oversight. If its another thread, sorry I didnt read it. I cant read every thread around here you know

Or is a Landrover Discovery a british only car? Sorry for not knowing this.

Fair point. I just assumed it was around 95% given that it's a diesel Landrover. Not exactly a common combination in North America or even Europe.

No worries mate. We have Landrovers down in Aus too and we also drive on the left. I never gave much thought as to how popular these particular vehicles are around the rest of the world.

Back on topic, the OP could probably import the car OK (being the same side driving), but it would probably work out more cost effective to just sell and then buy again here. But again, you should think carefully if you even need a car at all. If you do, Im not sure a Landrover would be the best option with some of the narrow streets and heavy traffic around here.

Thank you ....

Yes we are looking at the New Territories as my daughter has just received a P1 place at Hong Lok Yuen.

We are also looking at DB and obviously have not intention of bringing a car with us should we move to DB.

if you have a school space, TAKE IT! they are VERY hard to come by!!!

do NOT live in db if she is going to go to HKY.. it's WAY too far.... look at tai po and consider a second hand car when you get here.

Last edited by carang; 26-03-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Yes, we're from the UK and to be honest we're kind of in tune with Skyhooks thinking. We like the outdoors lifestyle, have 3 kids and would rather be outside that playing with a Wii. It looks like we'll take the school place a HLYIS and live in NT somewhere. We love our Discovery, so was really just trying to get a sense of how much we're looking at to import it. We realise that second hand values would mean we'd take a hit, but that's only if we sold it. Not something we intend to do in the short term. Alternatively, we could just sell it here and buy one in HK. Any ideas where I can look at prices please?

try 28CAR.COM

it's in canto, but u can work out the search bit, 1/2 way down the page.

Even in DB u can park a car at Sunny Bay now, so I am led to believe, for only a couple of hundred a month.

If you have young kids it is worth it for the safety factor, no kiddy car restraints in cabs here.

I'd sell your car and get a cheapy here. yeah you lose some $$, but that's taken as par for the course the moment you drive off from the dealership, no matter where you live.

Brilliant, exactly what we need... another gas guzzler when the pollution index hit 500 this week. Just dandy...

We wouldn't want our precious lifestyle to change one bit

Thanks gilleshk, your reply is not only factual but insightful.

Your passion for the environment is touching.

However, if you have nothing positive to contribute to this thread then please refrain from doing so.

Kindest regards,
    D.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast