Laptop purchase at hong kong.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Laptop purchase at hong kong.

Ok here's the thing, im having a stopover at the HKIA for 3 hours (from 6 am to 9 am).
    I want to buy a laptop, specifically Sony Vaio VPCZ117GG/X, in an installment plan and im wondering where to buy at a limited time. I looked in Fortress and they have the laptop and a installment plan but the stores opens up at 10am+, i also checked the fortress store inside the airport but the problem is they dont accept the monthly installment plan.

So im looking for a store which has that laptop and have an installment plan and which is open between 6-9am.

Reality check needed! Business don't give credit to random people passing through an airport! You would need to be a HK Resident, and for Fortress (and I'm pretty sure for others too) you need an account with a Hong Kong Bank (I believe it's actually the bank that takes the non-payment risk).

Yeah. I will use citibank and I already asked that from the fortress customer care development and they said i can use a citibank.

So what are the answers for my question above?

You have an account with Citibank Hong Kong?

If not then it won't work.

And I can't find any stores on the Fortress Store Locator which open earlier than 10:30. Very, very few shops in Hong Kong are open before 9am.

Oh i see.

What other stores accept installment plans?

For people who aren't resident in HK and don't have a HK bank account and are just in transit through the airport. I'm pretty sure the answer is none at all.

Why don't you just buy it in your home country?

Cause its too expensive but anyway thanks for the help.

Do laptops actually have duty free inside the boarding area (like tobacco & spirits) ? - what is the difference ?

I have compared electronic prices in the airport on my way thru at least 3-4 times a year, it's a good way to kill time while waiting for my flight..

I don't think their prices are that good, especially if you know where to look to buy what are are looking for.. ie; SSP for computer, MK for cameras, etc..

Some of their products are not even from local distributors so warranty may be a issue, would suck if you bought say a notebook and brought it back to Australia, only to find a defect and that it does not have a international warranty and you have to mail it to the United States... ouch !!

or even if it does have local HK warranty and you would have to mail it back to HK due to no international coverage, you get the picture...

You would probably be fine with buying a Lenovo/IBM thinkpad as those usually have international warranty... rest I dunno

Agreed - all the price comparisons I have ever done on shops at HK Airport showed them to be significantly more expensive than downtown.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast