Like Tree25Likes

Sold my house and moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Given the attitude toward illegal immigrants in most the state of Texas, I am rather surprised you thought you could just hop countries and hope to find a job once there. Or come on a tourist visa all teh while knowing that the trip wasn't really for tourism (although I am sure you will do some of that, too).
    Could be worse, I suppose you could be from Phoenix.

jimbo and Skyhook like this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Perhaps the OP should leave his stuff in storage back in Dallas till everything (including city) is sorted out.

Are Singaporean immigration rules more or less lenient than Hong Kong's?

Quote Originally Posted by gordonsanders:
    Visit Visa / Entry Permit Requirements for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region

Part II

5. Visitors are required to have adequate funds to cover the duration of their stay without working and, unless in transit to the Mainland of China or the Macao Special Administrative Region, to hold onward or return tickets. If you want to stay longer than the visa free period allowed, you must apply for a visa or entry permit before travelling to the HKSAR.

6. Visitors are not allowed by law to take up employment (paid or unpaid), to establish or join in any business, or to enter school as a student, nor, except in the most unusual circumstances, are visitors allowed to change their immigration status after arrival.
    Seems you are rather hoping that the word "tourist" or "tourism" does not limit what can be done on the visa simply by definition.

Where is PDLM? Vacation?

Claire ex-ax is Singapore more lenient in anything?
    Last edited by Sleuth; 02-06-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Judging from a post somewhere else the OP has a woman in HKG, so things like accommodation etc. will not be a problem initially, I suspect.

One of the items that i left out (didn't seem relevant) is that I have been to HK twice for 2 weeks at a time, and have a number of friends that live there. I can navigate most of HK without a map.

I have already made arrangements for living accommodations, in both TST and Mid-Levels as well.

I will succeed and i appreciate all of the help and suggetions that each of you is offering

This is a quote from The Alchemist.. and one of the reasons that I am coming to HK.

:The boy didn't know what a person's "destiny" was.
    "It's what you have always wanted to accomplish. Everyone, when they are young, knows what their destiny is. At that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible. They are not afraid to dream, and to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lives. But, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their destiny... It's a force that appears to be negative, but actually shows you how to realize your destiny. It prepares your spirit and you will, because there is one great truth on this planet: whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it's because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. It's your mission on earth." --The Alchemist

Quote Originally Posted by gordonsanders:
    I will succeed ....
    Leeroy Jenkins!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Seems you are rather hoping that the word "tourist" or "tourism" does not limit what can be done on the visa simply by definition.
    There is no such thing as a tourist visa, simply a visitor visa.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    There is no such thing as a tourist visa, simply a visitor visa.
    Really? I sit corrected, then.
    Visitor seems rather open-ended, which is good for the OP.

Really? I sit corrected, then.
    Visitor seems rather open-ended, which is good for the OP.
    Certainly there is nothing that proscribes talking to potential employers while in Hong Kong in the regulations concerning visa's.... we just have some unverified second hand information that suggests otherwise at the moment.

The best idea would be for the OP to contact immigration directly and ask them.

This website also mentions what my plan is

It may be difficult, but anything work doing is expected to be difficult.

Sleuth am I missing something here???

Working Abroad Career Guide for Hong Kong

Work Permits
    It's getting more and more difficult for foreigners to obtain a Hong
    Kong work permit. They must have a special skill to have a good
    chance of finding work in Hong Kong. There are three approaches to
    getting a work permit.

If a candidate secures a position with a Hong Kong company before
    arrival, the company will sponsor the applicant for a work permit. The
    company must prove that it cannot find a qualified candidate for the
    position within Hong Kong.

Foreigners may also try arriving in Hong Kong on a visitor's visa and
    finding work once in the country. This method is difficult and not
    advisable, but not impossible, either.

Most expatriate workers in Hong Kong got there by being transferred
    there by their employers. This is still the easiest way to get a Hong
    Kong work permit.

Given the attitude toward illegal immigrants in most the state of Texas, I am rather surprised you thought you could just hop countries and hope to find a job once there. Or come on a tourist visa all teh while knowing that the trip wasn't really for tourism (although I am sure you will do some of that, too).
    Could be worse, I suppose you could be from Phoenix.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast