Like Tree25Likes

Sold my house and moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

I have a question. Do immigration officers actually interview foreigners when they enter Hong Kong like US visa officers interview visa applicants? Of course I assume the interview has to be much shorter if there is one.
    oh I mean foreigners who do not need visa to visit HK.

Quote Originally Posted by looking@HK:
    +1

Seriously, what's all the drama over coming in as a tourist and looking for work? He's not planning on working as a visitor. Intent can change 20 times in 20 seconds. It does not mean a thing. All international students coming to United States on an F1/student visa have to demonstrate their 'intent' to return to their home countries after completion of educational goals when they apply for this visa at a US Consulate abroad. How many actually follow-through on this intent to return to their home countries? It's not a big deal anywhere.

OP, yes, when you land in HK, please don't tell immigration that purpose of your stay is to look for a job. Other than that, good luck. And yes, everyone needs a backup plan. Depending on just one way to success, however you define it, is not prudent IMHO.
    Last edited by pizzalover; 03-06-2010 at 12:21 AM.

As a general rule, no. But they may ask a question or two about why you are here and how long you plan to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by pizzalover:
    I have a question. Do immigration officers actually interview foreigners when they enter Hong Kong like US visa officers interview visa applicants? Of course I assume the interview has to be much shorter if there is one.
    I have not yet entered on my US passport. When I entered on my Indian passport, they asked for my US greencard/PR since I was coming from the US. I know that just my Indian passport should have been enough, but I showed the PR card to put their mind at ease
    And yes, I was asked what was the purpose of my trip. A short answer, something like -- meeting a few people/friends and tourism was fine.

Yes, I am using my real name and of course, I will be visiting friends while in HK, the last time I was here I did not have as much free time as I would have liked.

I didn't get to do any hiking the last time that I was here but I have hiked many of the neighboring islands, and had a wonderful dinner on the beach in Shek-O. I dont have anything to hide and have had a long history on the internet, nothing bad of course.

It seems that I have opened up a huge hornets nest in this fine community and for that I apologize.

Who knows, after my visit HK, hanging out with friends at night, and checking out the job market during the day, I can always head back to the states. I am a born Texan, and have a great family so I will always have a place to come back to in the states. :-) My selling house is just the way of generating $$$ for traveling and job seeking. I don't see the harm in that.

I am also not the type to dream little. If you are going to dream, why not dream big.

This is also a great quote from my favorite author:

Only the following items should be considered to be grave faults: not respecting another's rights: allowing oneself to be paralyzed by fear; feeling guilty; believing that one does not deserve the good or ill that happens in one's life; being a coward. We will love our enemies, but not make alliances with them. They were placed in our path in order to test our sword, and we should, out of respect for them, struggle against them. We will choose our enemies. -- Paulo Coelho in Like the Flowing River.

thanks for your help

If you have a US Passport you cannot have a Green Card. You need to surrender it before you take the oath. Have they changed the procedures in the past month?

Quote Originally Posted by pizzalover:
    IF your Asian - the probability that they will ask is most likely

But if your White ( even though your a bum ) - the probability would be low

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    If you have a US Passport you cannot have a Green Card. You need to surrender it before you take the oath. Have they changed the procedures in the past month?
    Still true. When you are a citizen, you are no longer a PR so no PR Card/greencard. I used my PR card with my Indian Passport when I was a PR of US and a citizen of India. Since I last visit to HK, I have become a naturalized US citizen.
    Last edited by looking@HK; 03-06-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    I agree he seems a bit naive but why the hostility towards Texas? And Arizona? Name me a country that welcomes illegal immigrants and I'll be surprised. I favor more liberal immigration policies than most people do but it is certainly understandable that concern about illegals exists during a period of high unemployment when there are around 20 million of them. In any case, Texas has always been quite tolerant of illegals, as ex-Govenor GW Bush famously said, "If they're willing to walk across the Sonoran desert, then we want 'em."
    Well, Arizona just passed that wonderful immigration law and is the home of the new--to use a term loosely--minutemen.
    You might be correct on Texas, but certainly not the state's reputation (which is rather more right-wing than that) and having to quote Bush is not helping the defense.
    The US, in general, needs to fix the immigration policy. Only the native Americans (or original inhabitants or, confusingly out here, American Indians) have the right to be anti-immigrant.
    Skyhook likes this.

Sleuth: You might be correct on Texas, but certainly not the state's reputation (which is rather more right-wing than that) and having to quote Bush is not helping the defense.
    The US, in general, needs to fix the immigration policy. Only the native Americans (or original inhabitants or, confusingly out here, American Indians) have the right to be anti-immigrant
    .[/QUOTE]

Oh, I "might be correct" about Texas? Well, thank you very much. So right wing = anti-immigrant? You don't have a clue, pal.

Why does quoting Bush hurt my case - Bush is known to be very pro-immigrant, and he was very popular when governor with the Latinos in his state?

So, the US needs to fix its immigration policy does it? Gee, thanks for the news. Most people would say it needs to be tougher - and more consistent on illegal immigration - which I don't personally support - but which hardly makes your case. You haven't stated an answer to my question, which was - name me a country that "welcomes" illegal immigrants - as the US actually arguably does. The Arizona law, which I am no fan of, is not as invasive as the laws in most other countries, yet you presume to advise the US on human rights.

It seems to me you are just ignorant and lashing out at what you seem to think is an easy target.
    Last edited by Freetrader; 03-06-2010 at 01:16 PM.
    JaredHK likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    name me a country that "welcomes" illegal immigrants - as the US actually arguably does.
    The UK is pretty welcoming.
    dumbdonkey likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast