Like Tree7Likes

ps3 nowtv Decoder

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I convinced my 60+ year old parents to get one and they set it up without my help. Thats how easy it is.

Logitech have a nice database of devices, and all of mine were already in there so there was not much fiddling around to do.

Even with NowTV for example, the remote has the 4 colour buttons on it and they all work the same as the original Now remote. The INFO, MENU buttons, program guide, favourites, subtitles, and all buttons just worked straight away out of the box without doing anything. Some buttons that are specific to NowTV (therefore are not hard buttons on the logitech remote) showed up automatically on the LCD panel of the remote.

The same with all my other devices. With my Sony 5.1 receiver, it knew all the advanced buttons like how to change the sound field, etc.

I only had one problem out of the box and that was that it could not turn off the NowTV decoder for some reason. But the remote has a "learning" port so I pointed the original NowTV remote at it and trained the logitech how to turn off the NowTV box properly.

I also trained the remote how to turn on/off the aircon while it is in the middle of another "activity" and things like that.

I was surprised how quick and easy it was to set up. I thought I would be spending weeks getting it right.

BDW, how did you get a Logitech Harmony (I presume the Harmony One) for $400 (is that HK$)?????

Cheapest I've seen it for is over double that price.

OK I'm sold. I doubt it will have my TV (only sold in Japan) or the QNAP Network Media Player but I am prepared to teach it those.

Where did you get it in Hong Kong?

Maybe this one

Harmony® 300 Remote

rather than the Harmony One?

pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Maybe this one

Harmony® 300 Remote

rather than the Harmony One?
    Cool cool.

As for buying one, they are sold in pretty much any electronics store. However I do find their price to be more expensive than N.A. I guess something else to add to my shopping list for when I'm in N.A. this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    OK I'm sold. I doubt it will have my TV (only sold in Japan) or the QNAP Network Media Player but I am prepared to teach it those.

Where did you get it in Hong Kong?
    get a learning remote ( learns off your original remote) if fact, any infra red remote, works for all electronics with infra red remote sensors (even remote controlled switches and if you want to home automation), programe a macro button to turn on or off all equipment at once

starts from HK$600 for a basic 6 unit learning remote, goes up to HK$5,000 for a home automatication one learns up to 100 remotes or comes with mid to high end av amplifier (for example onkyo, marantz, denon, sony yamaha etc..)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/MARANTZ-RC9001-Programmable-Learning-Touchscreen/dp/B000X1KYJS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1277799737&sr =8-5"]Amazon.com: MARANTZ RC9001 PC Programmable/Learning Touchscreen Remote: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417HVutdUPL.@@AMEPARAM@@417HVutdUPL[/ame]

high end solution, though not cheap

sony RM-VL610T

Low end solution, learns from all remotes, thus, no incompatibility from any devices.

Sony Home AV RM-VL610T - Sonystyle.com.hk

also very cheap only HK$398

Hey Guys. I got the Logitech 525 which is normally $900, but there was a shop in Mongkok computer center which had a promotion for $400. I think its because the 600 models are being released now and they wanted to clear out the old 500 ones. Not sure if the new ones are available yet or not.

The one I got has the monochrome LCD (not colour) and uses AAA batteries (instead of coming with the recharging dock). The more expensive models have colour and recharging dock.

Just to emphasise, the key selling point of the Harmony over other universal remote is the "activities" function. Other universal remotes can control all your devices, but you still need to press 5 power buttons to turn 5 devices on and things like this.

With the Harmony "activities" function, it becomes more intelligent. For example, while I am watching NowTV, the channel button will change the channel of the NowTV box, but the volume button will change the volume on my Sony receiver (or TV for most people that dont have receivers), etc. But as soon as I switch to another activity, the buttons are assigned to other devices. So if I decide to watch analogue TV, then the channel buttons are automatically reassigned to change the channel on the TV.

Geoff- Im not sure if that 300 model has all the nice features I mentioned. It is the bare bones entry level model.

I'd go for a 500 or 600 series. There is a 600 with monochrome display, or 650 with colour display.

They are pretty cheap. US$99 for the 650 is around HK$700-$800 I guess. I got mine for $400 because its a 525 model which is old now, but basically has the same functions as a 600.

Geoff likes this.

imparanoic - The marantz certainly looks nice, but I think overkill for me.

I was seriously considering a Sony like the one you linked to, but then happened to stumble across the Harmony for only $400. Im glad I did because the Harmony's intelligent activities function definitely makes it nice and easy to use.